It seemed that the world was out to get her. That's how it felt anyway. She tried taking a deep breath but her breathing was erratic, how was she ever going to get through this? Unfortunately, she wasn't sure she was going too. She looked around at the integrating room and wondered what went wrong. The walls around her were grey, stains on the corners of these four walls, she could only imagine the terrible stuff one had done to others in this room, most were criminals but she couldn't help but wonder about the people like her, innocents. Would she get the same treatment as those who sat here before her?

She looked back at her morning, it had been a regular morning. She had gotten up earlier than usual, not getting much sleep, a nightmare seemed to have placed her in that situation, but besides that, it seemed like the day held promise, unfortunately, it seemed like that promise was slipping through her fingers.  She had gotten up, got dressed and started her day. Then after lunch, she was busy cleaning up laundry and she heard a knock on her door, little did she know that knock, would forever change her life.

Clara had answered it, and before she knew what was happening, she was being shuffled into a police car with handcuffs on.  Deffinelty not what she had expected for the day. She still wasn't sure what crime they had arrested her for, but one thing she knew was she hadn't done it, she had never broken the law before, well maybe she illegally downloaded a song when she was a teen, but would they really arrest her for something she had done so long ago. A tall man entered the room, in a uniform, I guess was here was her chance to find out.

Views: 240

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How can so many questions flood ones head at once? Clara was feeling it now. A lawyer, I guess calling had been a good thing, especially if she needed one. "It's nice to meet you," she began. Her voice didn't crack but she could sense with the twinge in her eyes that she wanted to burst out into tears at how she landed herself in this joint. "My name is Clara Carter, and nobody has told me what is going on," she said. Clara looked over the man, who would be her lawyer,  he wasn't what she was expecting for a lawyer, most lawyers she knew, were older men, with no hair, but that wasn't the case in this situation. He was younger, looked around his late twenties maybe, and he was stronger like maybe he worked out.  She averted her eyes, scanning the room once more. No escape but the door from behind him. 

She took a deep breath and ran her hands through her hair, this day was not going as planned. She could feel a panic attack coming on, she tried to control her breathing, in and out, in, out. but it didn't seem to be working. She tried telling herself in her head, that they would sort everything out but she wasn't sure now, and she wasn't sure before, would she ever see her house again, her friends, she wasn't sure and not being in control right now, was driving her crazy. "What your plan?" she finally managed to say. She would get out of here, she had too.

Clara listened to his questions things had gotten so complicated, how come? Why did this have to happen? "I do work, as a librarian," she said. "And no, I have no one to contact, I'm an only child with dead parents," she replied. Her legs shaking, her stomach unsettled, maybe is her parents had given her a sibling she wouldn't be in this mess, if maybe her parents were still alive, maybe then they'd both be here, working as hard as they could to get there daughter back. Out of this mess, but what if was a dangerous game to play, it leads Clara down a winding road with very many unanswered questions.

She took a deep breath, he didn't have a plan, and this was a serious thing she was going through, weren't lawyers filled with plans, she wouldn't know though, she hardly needed legal help. "Alright, whatever you think best," she said, and that was the truth, he was the experienced one here, not her.

She didn't know why they had come after her, she herself was absolutely sure she didn't commit the crime, she wasn't even sure what crime they had her here for. "A few days ago, was like most of the other days, I was busy with work, I get up, get ready leave for work come home, on Fridays I have my book club, and Saturdays I do a little grocery shopping and sometimes go out with a few friends to lunch, I don't think anyone could be following me, if it's okay to mention if it might be relevant my mother and stepfather were murdered, but it was so long ago," she said. She had to trust her lawyer and the man in front of her seemed honest.

She put her head in her hands, being handcuffed was getting uncomfortable and they hadn't really given her any news when they arrested her. Were they even real police? She wasn't sure of that anymore, maybe it was the same people that murdered her mother. Oh, how she wished she wasn't always attracting bad luck. "What else do you need to know?" she said just before a man came in, who may or may not be a police officer. 

The question made sense and he was trying to help her, but the thought of her parents made her body go cold. "They didn't die together, a few years apart, my father died from a car accident but my mother and stepfather were murdered," she said, it hurt to talk about them sometimes, but it was times like these, already so trying and exhausting where she couldn't even bear to think about the awful cards that the universe seemed to have dealt her.

The man, entered the room, coming up to the desk and holding the keys to the handcuffs locked around her wrist. "It seems you're being released, as of now the evidence doesn't hold you," the man said, his suit held too tightly to his form, and his waist definitely didn't need the belt wrapped around him. "But don't get too comfy, if we find something, we're getting you back here," the man said, his balding head a distraction from his words.  "I know you won't find anything," she said because she knew, she didn't do this. He let out a half-laugh and unlocked her leaving the room, with an eerie feeling like this wasn't over.

They left the station and she wasn't sure what she was going to do now, surely this day had been ruined, getting arrested can do that to you, so she turned to her lawyer. "Care to get a drink, on me?" she asked, all she could think about was pushing this problem in the backburner and having a cool glass of scotch. 

When the waiter came over to the table, Lucius's question still burned in her mind, she knew that they weren't just going to let her go, but if he thought so too, then she was right and all of this was just as scary as she had first thought. The waiter, tall and blonde, his hair covering his eyes, she managed to order a drink, a whiskey because she knew that if she kept on having to think about what happened today she was going to need booze, a healthy amount too.

"I didn't do anything, I didn't even know the guy who was murdered, right that's why I was arrested, I can't remember, it feels like the day just happened, it went really slow but it happened in the blink of an eye, and If I weren't sitting here with you now I'm sure I would be questioning if it even happened," she said. Clara hadn't even gotten a drink in her system yet, and things were fogging, She guessed that's how it felt being a suspect. She cursed herself for not paying more attention. "Ask me anything, I'll be honest, I just need this to be fixed," And that as true, she had to get her named clear, her stomach started eating at her again, and when the waiter put the glass in front of her, she picked it and downed it in one shot.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ✓ Ophelia Dreyvalian ~Admin~.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service