There is a certain level of tired that equates to insanity. Sometimes it can occur in the temporary power to dislocate ones spirit from their body and sit elsewhere, just for a moment and seemingly watch the day drawl by while the body still tapped away, doing the same work they'd started days ago.
In others, its the ability to time travel, to look at the clock for say 10pm and an hour later look back and it be 10.05pm. The time it felt like hours between every blink, or hours between every dull tick of the clock that echoed its sound tauntingly like a Allen-Poe Raven.

Image result for The raven gif

It was the latter that effected Everson the most.
The sight must have been truly frightening, Everson had been sat hunched over the metal desk for hours, scouring through folder and folder, file upon file, the blue glare from the computer screens before him numbing his eyes. Every now and then, the male lent right back in his chair, squeezing small droplets of solution into his eyes to battle the itch of being awake for more than 32 hours on the trot. Coffee cups piled three high, dotted around the table, the ground and the big beside the desk, wrappers from various snacks, takeaway containers and a half eaten Spring roll from the most current takeaway endeavour.
The paperwork that was stacked, 50 sheets to every staple before him, was crumpled into piles, each of relevance to the case and each equally useless to him at the present moment because not a single one had the answer Everson was searching for.
Everson had been instructed to watch a certain new arrival who had been a member of Evermore City for a number or years, left, and returned suddenly very recently...

Lifting the profile again, Eversons bright blue orbs scanned over the page once more, committing the words to memory;
"Aaliyah Cole, alias' Aal' and Liyah, Age 70+, appearance, early 30's, 5"9 athletic, long brunette hair, pale green eyes (Gold when magic is in use) Right handed, no tattoos or distinguishable marks.
Hobbies; Reading, working out, horses and travelling. Weapons of choice, knives and magic."
The image below was of the striking female, her eyes piercing even through the image and Everson had found himself staring at the picture numerous times throughout the night...What were her secrets? Why did she return now? Did she return because she knew what was going on? Did she return because she was aiding?

Image result for Ian Harding GIF

Nothing made sense, which infuriated Everson to no end.
The human had watched the diviner for days since her return to the city. She took residence in her old house once more, just her and two dogs, never any visitors...No house warming, no congratulatory coffee, nothing.
In the organisation, Everson had access to every CCTV camera in the city, which meant wherever the Diviner went, Everson could track.
For example, Everson knew that every morning Aaliyah took a run from her home just outside the city limits, into the city and towards the woods that framed part of the cities edge with a drop in at a coffee house on the route back.

She ran either alone or with her two dogs, a retriever and wolf hybrid, never with someone else.
A theme Everson had discovered in the girl, Aaliyah enjoyed her own company. She would shop herself, run herself, take the dogs out herself and she was home alone all the time.
Ever since she came back to the city, Aaliyah hadn't connected with a single person...
Which begs the question, Why did she come back? What did she have tying her to the city?
Raking his hands over his face, Everson shook his head and stood from the computer chair he'd been sat in for the past 26 hours. He needed coffee. Checking his watch, a smirk lifting up the corners of his mouth. Aaliyah would be going for her morning coffee at the Coffee hut on the edge of the city.
Pulling on his hoodie and baseball cap, the tired human made his way through the underground levels of the organisation and to the car park. He climbed into his company Audi TT. He made his way quickly to the Diviners chosen coffee spot and, once again checking his watch, managed to get his coffee and sit before the door pinged, announcing her inevitable arrival...

Views: 452

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Aaliyah rose to her feet and removed dog fur from her pants and jacket, eyeing  Everson as she did so. A dry smile curled her lips as she set her hands in the back pockets of her jeans. “Used to love them? I don’t think it’s something that fades away,” she murmured, walking towards the river to wash her hands. Kneeling, she placed her hands in the brisk water, her breath hitching at the cold of the winter run-off.

She chuckled as he finally remembered his drone, rising again and drying her hands on her pants. She rested a hand on her hip and raised a brow at him. “So kind of you to finally put your little robot away,” she said teasingly, shaking her head. Both dogs were now hounding the stranger, their tails wagging with excitement. Aaliyah gave a sharp whistle and both dogs bolted away, beginning a game of chase and tackle with each other. It was easy to see Everson start to relax and it completely changed him from the volatile, aggressive man that had approached just a short time ago.

Despite his relaxing, Aaliyah couldn’t allow herself to relax quite so much and it wasn’t necessarily because of him any longer. The fact of the distrust between the faction leaders towards had her on edge and she wouldn’t truly relax until she had set her people to work looking things up so she had more information. She disliked being in the dark very much and she had greatly misjudged the severity of the dark diviner that was wreaking havoc in Evermore.

Pale green/blue optics met Everson’s at his response and she couldn’t help but roll her eyes as he flashed a winning smile at her. Once upon a time, some well-played words and a smile like that would have had her flirting  and often finding an evening of fun with someone but Aaliyah had taken a step back from such frivolity. She had been stepped on a few too many times and she kept her heart and emotions well protected. Her lips parted in surprise at his dinner invitation but she quickly regained her composure and placed a cool smile on her features. “Dinner is such a commitment and I have don’t do commitments anymore Echo. Surely your research on me showed you that much?” she teased.

For all she knew this was one of his spy tactics he used, probably especially on those he could win the attraction of. As much as they had passed through the rough waters of their first introduction she had no intention of letting this man any closer to her than he already was. Sharing information? Doubtful. Anything she might discover would be shared with Kaelyn first and Kaelyn could pass it on as she would. Aaliyah wasn’t a leader anymore but that didn’t mean she would put herself in a position where she wasn’t privy to all the information she had once upon a time.

“I’ll have to think about coffee. If you can’t keep up with my morning routine, you’ll struggle with my entire day,” she smiled. “Late nights, early mornings. It’s what I thrive on,” she said coyly, watching the dogs play as they ran back towards the house.

Eversons smile faded a little as she said that sort of love doesn't fade. He shrugged a little and glanced up to her "I think peoples priorities change. Animals don't even rank on my list." He said stiffly, straightening as he did. Truth was, he didn't keep a pet for years because his father had taught him the more you love the more you have to lose, and after being dragged through his ordeal, Everson merely decided it wasn't worth the pain.

As she mentioned his 'little robots' he chuckled and shook his head. "Sometimes us Humans are at a disadvantage, these babies just even the playing field a little." He shrugged and gestured to her "Im sure you understand."

Her excuses however, made Everson roll his eyes with a small smirk perching onto his features. "I think you do want commitment, you're just afraid of it." He shrugged again and sighed "I mean, I get it, with your fiance just ditching town like that...Sucks." Everson didn't mean to be bitter, but the jab he made was malicious and venomous.

With that he turned on toe and waved his hand in her direction. "Well Miss. Cole, I look forward to working with you in the future. I have a feeling we're going to make excellent business partners." He grinned in her general direction and turned back towards the treeline, making his way back towards the city down the path they'd taken previously.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ✓ Ophelia Dreyvalian ~Admin~.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service