Sariah's life had turned from busy to chaotic from the moment the public announcement had been made about her co-ambassadorship a couple of weeks back, what used to be a packed work day spent at her computer with more than a few cups of coffee had become meeting after meeting in Violet's stead and the rest of her work had been forced to take a back burner. Today, as Sariah found herself in the office she had spent almost a a year in after moving to Evermore, she was shocked to find that her schedule was clear.

Not being one to waste the oppurtunity of free time, Sariah had immediately gotten to work on her mental to-do list, headphones on and eyes focused she hummed softly to herself as she shifted her eyes from screen to screen, tapping away on her keyboard as she cleared each task like checkpoints. Sariah didn't mind being busy, it took her mind off of everything around her and when her mind wandered it didn't tend to go to happy places, though she would have liked more time to herself. 

After three straight hours of non stop work with little more than a trip to the coffee machine as a break she snapped her head up and sighed gently, she was becoming a workaholic, one of those people who never got to have a real life because they spent it all at the office. Shaking her head at that thought she glanced down at her keyboard for a moment before typing in a name. "Orion Valkyrie" she watched as the search results, both from the light and dark web appeared on her screen and she clicked on a few articles, scanning over the text as she did so. Sariah didn't usually read up on other people extensively unless work called for it but there was something about Orion that had her interested, things he had said about his past, things he didn't seem to want to share.

Mid her semi stalking session she jumped when someone tapped on the door, pressing her hand to her heart in surprise she took a few breaths before she went to speak "Come in" she spoke softly and averted her eyes a little as one of the scientists from the lab entered the room. 'Sorry to bother you Sariah but your 2 o'clock meeting is here" Sariah furrowed her brow a little, she was sure that her schedule was clear the last she checked. Letting out a half groan she nodded slightly before raising to her feet and wandering towards the entrance of the organization headquaters.

Sariah's shoes were loud against the hard floors of the corridors as she walked and she mentally cursed herself for sounding like an inelegant horse. She was dressed in a pink floral dress which fitted her figure well and her long blonde hair was tied into a ponytail as she usually liked to wear it when she was at work. As she rounded the final corner to the front of the building she heard what sounded like somewhat of commotion in the lobby, Violet's name being thrown around a few times. "What's going on here?" she asked sternly as she stepped into the room, her arms crossing over her chest before she spotted Orion in the room and a half smile crept it's way over her lips before she could stop it.

Views: 598

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Most species weren’t known for protecting others which was why Sariah seemed so surprised. Therians were neither dark nor light, they were all holding a rage that boiled close to the surface but their urge to protect often outweighed their anger and sometimes fueled it. However that also meant they had to keep a close watch on their emotions lest they take over.

Noticing the embarrassment which tinted the scent of the air he decided it would be best to leave that train of conversation at the station. It seemed that Sariah was unused to compliments which seemed odd given how much she had accomplished in her life and at such an age. Something obviously drove Sariah and caused her to be this successful but that was a story for another time he was sure. “Seemed that helped to form who you are today.”

The past had a way with sneaking in when you least expect it. After all Orion had love Destiny since he was a teenage, she had played hard to get and honestly disliked him at first until she had seen the person behind the tough and cocky exterior since that had been back when he had family had really been something. The majority of his life had been spent with her and then raising their children which had caused him to grow in an unexpected way taking less risks and making sure they would always have at least one parent to look after them. That was why he had run from Nevada, not the fear of losing his own life but the fear of leaving his children alone. Though she was gone now Destiny had made him the man he was today and he would never forget her but he now had to live for himself both of his children living their own lives. Sariah piqued his interest to say the least and held it as he learned more about her. He could run a background check but it seemed rude even if she had done the same on him.

More than anything Orion wanted to know what caused Sariah to join the Organization since something involving supernaturals had colored her vision on the world and lead her to where she was now. So many scenarios ran through his mind but he was sure her reasoning was very personal and he would never want to push his bounds. “Humanity never gives up and that’s one of the many things I respect about them.” They didn’t bow, bend or break no matter what was thrown at them and was used to force them down. “The Peace Treaty was signed with the best interests of all not just one or a few. When one species suffers it does affect us all whether we realize it at the time or not.” There was a delicate order they all sought to maintain and peace was still new and somewhat fragile especially with the newest species within the city, he hadn’t met any of them himself but he’d heard whispers and rumors.

“Evermore is like no other city in the world and it make sense that we can’t handle our problems in such a way and we as supernaturals can’t really hide anymore. The laws do need to apply to all instead of just one species it shows favoritism and lacks the unity we all need to display.” Much of the human population was beginning to realize the terrifying truth of what walked beside them on the streets though some were still blind to it. On the mention of containment cells a dark brow rose but there would be no other way to contain a supernatural since most could break out a human cell in less time than it took to lock them inside. “And who pray tell would be an unbiased jury? The humans? Another species? A mix of all?" It wasn't meant to be a rude question he was honestly curious on how that would work since he doubted that most supernatural factions wanted their faith solely in the hands of the humans. "I believe such a device could change this city and the way we deal with our problems not all things should be dealt with in the dark. We aren't monsters." He said calmly well aware of what same saw them as due to the actions of a few and Hollywood.

"I think we both have a lot to offer with testing and technology. Believe it or not there are a few within my faction that might be able to help in other aspects as far as science. We're not too far off from humans for the greater part of our lives and most of us hold on to our humanity more than the animal within." There was little genuine intention from many these days but when Sariah spoke he knew it wasn't just words but what she felt and believed and she did want to help and not just the humans. "I assume there would need to be more formal paper work to go with such a topic along with some sort of formal agreement to create on an alliance. This is way to get a feel of where the humans stood and so far I rather like what I've heard." That might have been a somewhat biased opinion built around Sariah but he found himself trusting her since she could have left him blinded, vulnerable and alone that night at the event.

Sariah nodded slightly in response to his words, she had worked hard to get where she was and certainly nothing had been handed to her on a silver plate, being a woman in the IT industry tended to get you looked down on, people assuming it was strange for a woman to choose tech over other professions but Sariah hadn't let it stop her, she would hit back with her own beliefs over the stereotypes. She hadn't always been as strong, she had learned that with time and through her own share of heartache and setbacks, somehow she had come out the other side in one piece and for that she could be proud. "Exactly that" she answered with a gentle laugh.

Sariah had to wonder about Orion's family, when they had first met he had mentioned he had a daughter, whom she was sure was as bright and strong as her father but the way he talked about his family implied there was far more than just himself and his daughter. Not to mention that a daughter meant there was a mother in the picture somewhere, though she hadn't seen a wedding band on his finger. Though Sariah had looked up information about Orion's work, it wasn't her place to look into his family and his history, that was for him to share if he wanted to and it was his secret to keep if he didn't want to talk about it. Sariah understood people wanting to keep their past in the past, her past was a sad story she rarely wanted to remember, let alone speak about out loud.

Sariah had met many people who were supernatural in her life, some had been her friend, others had been her enemy, she did her best not to treat the supernatural different from any other person until they proved themselves untrustworthy, at the core everyone was the same, they were people, with feelings and thoughts and lives of their own. People however were what Sariah had an issue with, because people had a habit of letting her down when she needed them. "I think we all have a little bit of determination in us, human or not" she answered brightly running a hand through her golden hair. Hearing his perspective on the peace treaty was a breath of fresh air, to most it was a means to an end, a reluctance they agreed to but for the humans it was the fine line that kept their people safe and she was glad to hear someone else agreeing to the value of it "You have no idea how nice it is to hear someone speak my very mind" she answered with a half smile in his direction.

Hearing Orion's thoughts on how the future of Evermore should look, Sariah nodded listening intently to his words, she had naturally sat forward in her chair interested in what he had to say and his take on the plans she had whirring in her mind. Of course nothing was set in stone until the entire city of Evermore could come together in agreement, but it was small step after step. Her brow furrowed in response to his question and she chuckled gently "Well I am definitely not an expert in law, but it only seems fair that the jury would be randomly selected from all residents in Evermore whom are aware of..." she trailed off for a moment searching for the phrasing she wanted to use "what makes Evermore special" she added with a nod of her head. She loved Evermore City, she loved how it embraced everyone and it had become a home for her when she really needed one, she couldn't see herself ever wanting to walk away from the City.

"I don't see the supernatural as monsters, but there are members of our society who need to answer for the decisions they have made" she answered with a sharp nod, it was hard for any punishment to be placed on those who were supernatural because there was no way the police could hold them. "Oh I am sure we both have plenty to discuss, opening the door to a partnership is the first step but I am always open to the suggestions and work of others" she nodded softly. In response to his words about an alliance, Sariah couldn't quite believe how quickly this had all come around, it seemed her choice to put her faith in Orion may prove to be a great decision. "Yes" she answered smoothly "the human faction is a little more structured than most factions, of course I'll need to talk to Violet and set up a meeting for us all, but I will also have to pitch the idea to our council who have the last say" she answered honestly as she raised to her feet sensing the meeting drawing to a close.

"Nothing to be concerned about there however, Violet and I are very like minded when it comes to what is best for our city" she added with a nod of her head looking up at him "But I'm very excited to see what sort of future we can build for Evermore together" she added with a bright smile, secretly she was happy that it meant they would get to see more of one another and perhaps she would even be able to impress him with all the ideas she had for technology which could help the therians. Taking a breath she brought herself back to reality realizing she had been daydreaming for a moment "I'll see you to the front of the building?" she offered as she stepped across the room to open the door to her office and face she people in the building doing their best not to be obvious in their staring.

There were a lot of things neither Sariah nor Orion knew about one another but that was just the way it worked with life. There were some things you just didn’t talk about when you first met someone though so far there were a lot of things they had discussed. What he did know he liked and respected since she was a strong woman with a steel will knowing exactly what she wanted to do. That was rare in the world today and he was sure if she thought it that she could bring it to pass.

“Survival is imbedded within us all so you’re right on that. Determination definitely has wide spread affect for us all, it what’s keep us going and keeps this city great. If we all gave up when things went wrong this city would be nothing.” And the factions would have fallen apart but he didn’t have to say that part outloud, “I’ve seen wars destroy families and cities, that what brought me here in the first place. The peace treaty was what we all needed.” And it brought some semblance of normalcy to the city.

Sariah leaned forwards listening intently and Orion realized that he was doing the same. Seeming to shake himself out he leaned back in the chair trying not to be mesmerized by her eyes and her voice. “Law is far from my forte which is probably why I’m not a lawyer and have to pay lawyers.” Though Sariah did have a valid point since that made sense from his understanding of how the law system worked.

“Some of us are monsters and need policing, others of us are just trying to get by in this world.” That was something he could attest to from living in Nevada and here in Evermore. “I’d say I should probably run this by the other alphas but the only one I can think who might disagree would be Riot but I think he does that out of spite.” The Ailuranthrope alpha was a massive pain in his butt to say the least the kid questioning him at every turn. There would be a good chance that Harper would be willing to help out in more than one capacity so he needed at least one person at his back. “Seems our fates are both in the hand of our own Councils,” He said with a bit of a chuckle since he was sure both sides could reach an agreement.

Orion was glad that Sariah had no reservations since Orion knew he was going to have a bit of a battle on his hands. "Harper and I tend to see eye to eye when it comes to humans and Luke tends to take things his own way." Pushing himself up to stand, "The future already seems to be looking brighter for Evermore." Lifting his arms over his head he stretched turning his upper half his back popping slightly, "I'll see you there, I assume that I'm supposed to get back there the way we came?" He asked stepping towards the door noticing the way people tried not to look at them but watched them at the same time.

Sariah respected the people who had put together the peace treaty in the city a big deal, in a world full of the supernatural, it was crucial for such a thing to exist to stop the human faction from being at constant risk from their supernatural neighbours. The problem wasn't necessarily the factions as a whole, she knew that every ambassador had their reasons for wanting to keep the peace treaty in place. What brought them down was the fact that there were some members of the community who thought and got away with behaving as though they were above the guidelines set out in the treaty. "Agreed, though the treaty is just the tip of the ice berg in rebuilding this city to last" she answered smoothly, a sharp nod of the head emphasizing her words.

"I can't say law has ever been of any interest to me either, I'm not much of a reader and being a lawyer is a LOT of reading" she answered with a shrug of her shoulders "We have the district attorney of Evermore on the council though, he can advise that kind of thing much better than I can" she added remember her few brief encounters with Tyler. He seemed nice enough, though she didn't understand half the law terms he came out with. Much like she was sure most didn't understand her technical babble.

"That much I can understand" she commented in response and sighed gently "If I told a younger me I'd be figuring out how to police vampires and the likes in 10 years time I think I'd call myself insane" she laughed softly just imaging it in her head. Listening to his thoughts on getting the alliance approved, Sariah nodded a little and bit gently on her bottom lip thinking about the struggle he must have to go through having someone oppose his every decision "I'll remain optimistic if you will" she proposed with a half smirk. The opinions of others would always come into play in a system like this, all they could do is remain hopeful that everyone could see the bigger picture being drawn right in front of them.

"I'll show you the way" she answered his question before heading to the door of the office and starting to walk through the corridors, this time she didn't lead him through the scenic route, meaning there were a few things going on behind the glass windows which were varying levels of confidential. Sariah couldn't be 100% certain she could trust Orion but she figured she had to take the chance on someone at some point. She remained quiet as they walked, trying to build up whatever confidence she had inside her. All that seemed to come out of it was a shake of her hand at her sides as she walked however. She wasn't sure anyone had ever made her as nervous as he did.

When they finally reached the front of the building, Sariah noted that the receptionist from earlier had instantly ducked away from them and pretended that he didn't exist. Sariah laughed gently before she turned to meet Orion's gaze. She was very aware that there were curious eyes on them, which caused her to cough a little awkwardly before she reached her hand out towards him "It was really great to see you again" she spoke a little less formally than the rest of their meeting had tended to be. By now she was sure she was going to chicken out so she simply smiled. 

“Evermore has survived a lot so I don’t see the city crumbling anytime soon. At least not as long as people who care are in charge.”  Which seemed to be the case since each and every one of the Ambassadors did everything possible for their species and in turn for the city. Maybe they didn’t all get along all the time but they did they best they could which was all that could be said.

“Reading does tend to be a prerequisite for law I’ll give you that.” Orion did so much reading everyday and he was used to it. It was necessary to know what you were putting a bid in for a far as a job went and you needed to know all the background since not everyone told you everything you needed to know. None of it was necessarily thrilling to read but it had to be better than law texts.

Orion didn’t even want to think what he would tell a younger version of himself. Protect your family, leave Nevada? Remember that losing Destiny isn’t the end? None of it would make sense to a younger version of himself and somethings were just meant to happen no matter how hard you tried to change it. The life he had now wasn’t bad and he was comfortable and his children were well taken care of. “Anything I would have told my younger self would have seemed insane and I doubt it would have changed anything.” Maybe it would have caused things to be change or maybe it would have made the events which unfolded occur faster.

Followed Sariah they took a different route, he could have found his way back the way they had come due to scent and his own memory of the lay out of the building. Being in security it was something he always paid attention to should something happen. Though there was much to look at on the other side of the glass as they passed he kept his eyes on Sariah unsure of if this was some sort of test. As they reached the front of the building he gave her a friendly smile seeing the change in her demeanor catching the brief glance Sariah gave to those around them. Professional, this was nothing but professional he reminded himself. “I’m sure I’ll be seeing you very soon Sarah, maybe under less…professional circumstances.” Or at least one could help.

"I see strength in the city everyday" she answered with a slight nod of her head, she agreed that Evermore had been through a lot but she was also worried about how long the idea of peace could last when the Celestials had waltzed into town and put the Ailward Guard on edge. Sariah wasn't an expert in supernatural politics but she knew it would only be so long before something came to a head.

"Well it's a good job that I never wanted to be a lawyer then" she responded with a half smirk, Sariah was more of a learn by doing person that she ever was a reader, the words on the page meant very little to her until she was able to see how that translated to the real world around her. Upon his thoughts about his younger self she allowed a shrug to roll off her shoulders "I feel like life has a way of creating a path for us even if the logic of it all doesn't make sense at the time" she spoke wistfully.

As they walked through the halls to the front of the building Sariah noticed that his eyes never seemed to leave her, she didn't know whether it was because he was trying very hard not to look around at the potentially sensitive material or something else but the feeling of eyes on her did nothing to help the already nervous aura that was surrounding her. She had almost seemed zoned out in the moments before he spoke, arguing in her own mind about whether or not she would go through with it. Pulling her hand away from the handshake she nodded in agreement to his words "I'll look forward to it" she answered brightly before turning away and starting to walk back through the corridor.

As she reached the door of the room she halted her step for a moment, she sighed softly disappointed with herself for her own cowardice and bit gently on her lip. "Now or never" she whispered to herself before turning around going with the burst of confidence that came over her, by now he had turned away so she called out to him "Orion" she spoke boldly as she slipped her hand into her pocket and pulled out a piece of paper which she had scrawled her phone number on earlier. Without so much of a second thought she closed the distance between them placing the paper into his hand "Maybe a little more than professional curiosity" she admitted as she looked up at him, savouring the gaze for just a moment before she stepped back her cheeks turning slightly red as she turned around and walked away her heels clicking against the floor as she went.

RSS

© 2024   Created by ✓ Ophelia Dreyvalian ~Admin~.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service