Tonight was the night. Sariah had spent the past few days since her last meeting with Orion pondering over everything, wondering what tonight was going to be like, of all the things she might learn about him and what she might even reveal about herself. It was weird to think about this being their first date considering all of the things they had been through together and the depth that her feelings ran, first dates were usually the ice breakers and figuring out if there was any kind of connection but this one, this one was different, which only added to the nerves that were piling on.

Sariah's apartment was cosy, despite being the leader of the organization she wasn't paid half as much as she could have been had she chosen to go down either a more corporate or a more illegal route. It was however enough to keep her comfortable and in her opinion, it was decorated nicely. The blonde had spent the past few hours getting ready bit by bit, mostly by pacing back and forth between her room and the living area to prepare everything. Sariah was somewhat of a serial planner, her mind liked to stress over every little detail she was sure most people didn't even notice.

The ambassador was dressed in a dark orange loose fitting dress which moved easily around her, she opted not to bother with shoes since they didn't intend on going out anywhere and Sariah didn't think any sane girl would wear heels around their apartment by choice. Her blonde hair was curled and framing her face in a half updo that was mostly to keep her hair out of her eyes while still looking like she made more than and effort than her usual ponytail and her glasses were tucked away neatly in the dresser replaced with the contact lenses she saved for special occasions.

Once she was happy with her outfit she had called ahead to the Chinese place and ordered a bunch of food to be delivered, not knowing what Orion's preference was she had just picked a range of different dishes and some bases to ensure there was something he would like. On the table she had set two plates and glasses as well as a few bottles of different things to drink. It wasn't often that Sariah really had any visitors to her apartment so she had enjoyed the opportunity to dig out all of the housewarming gifts she had been given when she moved to Evermore and finally allow them to see the light of day.

Sariah had so far done pretty well at not panicking about the part that she was really nervous about, after all, this would be where they figure out whether the feelings that were blossoming between the two of them are something they want to pursue and while Orion had been confident they would have a second date, Sariah was still apprehensive about the answers she might get to the questions she had. After all, this wouldn't be the kind of date where they talked about the weather or at least she hoped it wouldn't because she had so much more to say than that.

Her spiral of thoughts was interrupted by the sound of the doorbell ringing and her eyes widened for a moment before she made a quick dash around the room to grab matches and light the candle on the mantlepiece. Coming to a stop she set she box down on the table and then smoothed down her dress and took a deep breath before she walked over to the entrance hall and reached for the handle to open the door. Stepping around the door she glanced down at her watch for a moment and smiled as she looked up to meet his gaze "On time" she confirmed with a gentle laugh stepping aside to invite him inside.

Views: 960

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Never had he imagined that he would be considered a high-profile individual in a city nor that he would be dating someone of the same standing. Yeah he was going to go ahead and consider it dating since this was in fact a date, the first one of hopefully many. Though that all depended on how much they were both willing to put in, things could after all start amazing and then drift into nothingness but he had the feeling it wasn’t one of those situations. The two of them had already over come more than most couples had and they hadn’t even been dating at the time so he was able to remain positive over the whole thing. Though Sariah said that she knew that there seemed to be more on her mind but he didn’t want to push it. A small smile curved his lips, “Life is an adventure Sariah, we aren’t supposed to know where it make take us and sometimes instead of planning or worrying on what’s to come or continue you have to let it happen naturally. We’re…complicated to say the least but there are no easy paths to walk in life, at least not on the ones worth going down.” Orion was used to fighting for what he wanted even if he had no idea what the outcome might be and things with Sariah were no different since he would put is all into this opportunity she had gifted him, his second chance.

With names of Greek mythology many had tried to tease his brother and himself but they stood tall proud of the names they were given. Besides the first time someone had dared to insult Perseus’ name they were gifted with a broken nose and most quickly learned the Valkyrie family was not one to take bullying. “It is rather unique and flows far differently than the names of most these days. It’s very you in that regard.” And he did enjoy the way it rolled off his tongue since saying Miss Holloway was a bit more of a mouthful at times. The expression on Sariah’s face told him she didn’t anticipate such honesty especially about such a person and painful subject to him. Time had lessened the ache of it but he still thought of his brothers everyday since he had learned some of his best qualitied from them both. “I don’t really know how I did it either to be honest, I just knew I had to keep push and continue on. They were both always keenly aware of the fact their lives might be cut short and Percy would always tell me not to mourn him when he was gone for the dead feel nothing and worry over nothing. Death was just a part of live in Nevada that we all knew would catch up with us eventually. As the youngest I wasn’t as much of a threat to the vampire population in their eyes until I was the only one left.” And then they had made sure to hit hard and hit home. “I wish I could say I relocated to Evermore City by choice and in search of peace but I came here because it was the only safe place. It was just meant to be until my kids and I were able to find our footing again but it turned in a home and much safer way of life. When I told you I was tired of fighting and tired of war that was truth because life I said that was a majority of my life.” He knew things had once more taken a serious turn but that was part of getting to know someone, the good and the bad.

The though food was a good distraction from the seriousness of the conversation at hand. It was odd to tell Sariah things no one else in the city was aware of other than his children. After all the war in Nevada between the Therian and Vampires was every bit as intense as that of the Initia and Phoenix which equal amount of casualties and it was something he was glad to have left behind. The last thing he had wanted was for himself or his children to killed as a message to other Therians and in Evermore that wasn’t a threat.

Most would find it hard to eat when thinking such heavy thoughts but they didn’t weigh on him as badly as they once had. “Are you trying to out eat me?” He teasingly asked the blonde as she filled her plate once more as he was about half way done with his own. Focusing on eating he was enjoyed what was on his plate before reaching for more food and trying a few new things he hadn’t branched out enough to experience before. So far he hadn’t bit into anything he didn’t like. At her question he looked over with a noodle hanging out of his mouth before quickly sucking it in as he contemplated on her question. “All time favorite food…” That was a hard one since found most food enjoyable. “In Nevada we used to go to this Brazilian steakhouse that had these bacon wrapped filet mignon that were just so juicy and tinder. I would have to say those might be my all time favorite food.” He took another drink of his wine to clear his pallet before taking another bite, “What’s your all time favorite food?” He said as he looked her over as if trying to come up with the answer himself though he honestly had to admit he was clueless on this one.

“I’d rather you not bust, that would bring this date to a rather abrupt halt and I would have no idea how to explain that to The Organization. We were just eating and the next thing I’m aware of she’s taking a bite and then just burst. I don’t think they would believe that story even with so much weird happening in the city.” Finishing up his food he sat down his plate and leaned back for a moment stretching and becoming more comfortable. “What drives you?” He suddenly asked his curiosity getting the better of him, “With the Organization, it obviously means so much to you but everything you do you make sure it’s done your way as not to cause you to question your morals and that comes from somewhere.” He knew he was taking a huge risk with asking for early on in the evening but it was something which had been a curiosity on his mind for months.

The control freak in her didn’t like the things he said, not knowing what was going to happen put her on edge and made her freak out, Sariah found it hard to take a leap, whether that be trusting someone or putting herself out there. Somehow with Orion though, those leaps came far more often than she had ever expected, she had been the one to give him her number, she had chosen to allow herself to trust him when everything in her past told her it wouldn’t end well, there was something about him that made her irrational, braver even. “I don’t do well with unknown values” she admitted with a half smile, that was why she loved computers so much, they were all fact and no guesswork, everything had an explanation and a purpose, people however were unpredictable and often ruled by their emotions and feelings. “What is it about you that makes me wanna try anyway?” she asked it somewhat rhetorically, she didn’t know how to explain the feelings she had for him, they made little sense to her.

Sariah smiled softly as he spoke his thoughts on her name, Sariah had always liked her name being a little different, she was never the kind of person who fitted into a crowd and so her name reflected the person she had become in that respect. “Thanks” she responded with a gentle nod as the topic shifted to his brothers. Sariah could hear the respect and admiration in his voice, especially when he spoke the nickname he had given his elder brother. Her eyes dropped as he talked about the life he lived and the way he had come to Evermore, Sariah already suspected that it wouldn’t have been his first choice “I’m sure they’d be proud” she responded, sure he wasn’t fighting a war in the literal sense anymore but in Evermore he was working to create a place where the supernatural and humans could live alongside one another peacefully and that was a whole battle of its own. Sariah could understand why he decided to run, she feared to think of what might have happened to him if he hadn’t “You took all of that tragedy and turned it into a movement for the future, that shows more strength than fighting any physical battle, the real demons of the world are up here” she reached up and tapped the side of her forehead and smiled a little,  the words rang true because it was exactly what she had strived to do from the moment she had lost Katie.

Upon his question about food Sariah smirked a little “Trying?” she asked with a chuckle “I could eat you under table Valkyrie” she teased as she took another mouthful of the food, she might be small but the blonde also regularly attended heavy training regimes which pushed even the strongest of the organization to their limits. She couldn’t stop herself from bursting out laughing when he turned around with a noodle hanging from his lips however, her eyes dropping down for a moment before the laughter took over, Orion usually looked so serious and powerful, it was refreshing to see a goofier side to him. “Ugh” she groaned at his description of the food he loved most “That sounds like actual heaven” she responded picturing it in her mind. His returned question she answered without hesitation “Raspberries, I love everything raspberry” she admitted with a laugh, from raspberry sweets to wearing raspberry chapstick she adored the smell and taste of them.

Sariah laughed at his teasing shaking her head a little “No I don’t think they’d believe you either” they lived in a world of weirdness and yet there was still a line to draw when it came to strange happenings. As she settled back into the chair glass in hand she heard his question and quieted a moment in thought “A lot of things” she answered truthfully before she went to elaborate “I was raised in a small town to busy parents so I kinda grew up leading my own path” she was by no means neglected by her parents but she certainly had more space than most from them. “Through the years I went through a lot of things that tried to define me but like you so eloquently put it, I’m stubborn, I knew who I was” she trailed off for a moment “Or at least back then I did”.

She continued talking hoping she wasn’t totally boring him with all the details “My opinions on the supernatural came when I was in middle school, my best friend confessed to me what she was” she chuckled shaking her head “At first I thought she was insane but, well we both know how wrong I was about that” she leaned her arm on the edge of the couch as she continued to speak “She was born a phoenix in an Initia tribe” she stated, her expression showing the seriousness of what she was saying “I don’t think I need to tell you how that ended” she swallowed hard.

“All I could think about was how there was nothing I could have done because I was ordinary, human” the emotion wasn’t as raw as it was back then but she knew it was still evident in her voice “And so I vowed I’d work until there was a way I could help those who needed me, supernatural or not” she chuckled a little “Well it took a lot of setbacks and hardship to get there, but I found my way” she smiled softly tilting her head.

It was funny really, the saying that opposites attract. In some ways it fit them but in another ways they were rather similar. Orion may jump to conclusions at times and he did think important things out full, he looked before he leapt but he also wasn’t one to be afraid of leaping regardless of seeing what was below if what was on the other side was worth it. The fear of falling into some unknown pit wasn’t in his nature since he’d rather focus on the potential good instead of the potential of bad. Sariah however was one how fully wanted to know what she was getting into what the upside and downside was along with having an idea of what was to come instead of going in blind. “I’m one variable that you know, lets just focus on that.” He knew his actions at times could be unpredictable but that was the same for any being since that had free will. At Sariah’s words a soft smile formed on his lips, “I’m not really sure but I’m thankful for whatever it is.” No matter the obstacles or utter insanity of what they were trying, Orion didn’t want to be anywhere else or with anyone else.

Orion rather enjoyed saying Sariah’s name much more than he enjoyed saying her last name. There was something about it which just brought a smile to his lips. “You’re very welcome.” He said with sincerity since there was nothing he ever said to Sariah that he didn’t mean. Which was why the truth of his brothers and time in Nevada flowed easily from his lips even though he knew it was a downer. Unfortunately that had just been his life, there were high points mixed in with the low ones but they were far from even in intensity. “I think they would agree with my crusade for peace instead of continuing the never-ending war we all fought. There was no end in sight to it and by the end I don’t think we were even making a difference.” They had all been so greatly outnumbered and their survival rate had gone from seventy-five percent to maybe twenty percent at best. “You sure are wise for being younger.” Orion said in a teasing tone, always enjoying hearing her views on the world, life and others since she seemed to have far more figured out than she realized. “That is where the true demons leave and where an extend battle is fought everyday.” As he spoke he meant for everyone since there was no person alive without their own set of demons which reared their heads from time to time.

A smirk spread across his face to match her own, “Oh I don’t know about that Holloway but I’ll let you win this one for now since that’s what gentlemen do.” He stated with a wink in her direction as he continued to eat since he had been starving and unsure how much he would be able to eat due to nerves. The nervousness however had been short lived and he was reminded why he enjoyed spending time with her in any fashion or capacity. Hearing Sariah’s laughing at him in no way hurt his ego or feelings since he was sure it was a picture-perfect sight. It was a good thing she didn’t have a camera ready since he could think of a lot of people who would love to buy that picture for blackmail. “Anytime you can cut a steak with a fork you know it’s going to be divine.” They had been too and given how much he loved steak and bacon it was the perfect combination. Dark brows rose towards his forehead at Sariah’s response to his question of food her answer known without any thought. “Raspberries, I never would have guessed that.” He said with a chuckle once again taken by surprise which he should be used to by now with the human. “They have a complex taste about them with their sweet and yet tart but somehow perfectly balanced with both.” The aroma itself was sweet and yet floral and very unique.

It was so easy to tease and joke with Sariah, the mask of both Ambassador and Alpha seeming to lower around her and he was just a man enjoying the company of a rather adorable and amusing woman. There was no need to try to shield her from the world he lived in because she was blatantly aware of the supernatural and though she had reservations and maybe even some fear she didn’t allow that to overwhelm her. Everyday she fought for equal footing in a city full of supernaturals who didn’t necessarily think too highly of the human race and yet she had no quite in her. Orion quietly listened as he sipped on his wine not wanting to interrupt since he wasn’t sure she would continue after. A small laugh did leave him at her comment about being stubborn and knowing who she was, that was one of things that drew him in honestly.

The Kitsune was hanging on to every word which left Sariah’s lips wanting to know more about her and how she had come to be the woman she was today. She was after all still more a mystery to him than he was to her. “I’m pretty sure the first human I ever told what I really was believed I needed a straight jacket but it must have taken a lot of courage for her to trust you. It says a lot about your character even back then.” He admitted since most supernaturals kept what they were hidden for everyone, even those they trusted. As she continued and spoke of what her friend was and the situation she was in Orion realized the truth extend of their friendship since he was sure Sariah’s friend had no one else to confided in or talk to about her life struggles. “It didn’t end well for most in that position and I’m sorry Sariah.” He knew that had to be a terrible introduction into how dangerous and violent the world or supernaturals really was.

“In that situation, regardless of what species you were there wouldn’t have been a lot that you could do. To have the friendship of a person like that and to have them trust you above all others is rare and I’m sorry you lost her because of something as petty as a species war that she was innocent in.” The level or respect Orion felt for Sariah sky rocketed at that point since it made sense now on why she didn’t want to cells or wolfsbane or daystar to cause serious and painful effects. She wasn’t looking to hurt anyone, she was looking for an even playing field for all species. “Those setbacks and hardships tend to forge the strongest of people. You live your life for yourself and yet you’re honoring a friend who I’m sure is proud of what you’ve accomplished and continue to strive for.” Reaching across the space between them he took her hand in his and gave it a squeeze, “You truly are an amazing woman Sariah Holloway.”

Sariah was once very much a risk taker, she wanted the world and she was willing to give up everything she had for it. Life however had taken that naivety and twisted it over in knots until she was no longer willing to take risks for fear of getting hurt. Sariah still held some of that childish like hope to her but she knew better than to let it get the better of her, at least in most situations she did but with Orion those walls seemed to want to break down, it was an unfamiliar but also thrilling feeling. “One thing at a time” she summarised his words and smiled nodding gently “I can do that” she hated unsolvable puzzles but perhaps working together they could figure out where all the pieces went.

Sure the conversations they seemed to be having weren’t what one would typically consider first date topics but then nothing about Sariah and Orion had ever been conventional and while this may technically be their first date, to Sariah it felt like so much more than that. Whilst she felt a wash of sadness as she thought about the fate his brothers must have suffered she was also glad that he felt like he could tell her about it and she certainly noticed that he didn’t seem to be holding anything back. “Sounds like peace was all you were ever searching for” she clarified, perhaps there has been some personal grudges there but he told her they started this to protect humans from vampires who were ruthless and she saw honor in that purpose. The blonde let out a chuckle when he called her wise “I’m not so sure about that but thanks” she admitted tilting her head to the side, she couldn’t even imagine how hard his demons must be to fight, considering he and his family had been to hell and back.

The nervousness seemed somewhat pointless as they both joked around with one another, Sariah found him easier to understand than most people she knew or perhaps she was the hard one to understand, she tended to keep her struggles internal for the most part which could come across as her being secretive or like she was pushing people away. “Sounds like a gracious defeat before the shame to me” she jested as she looked back at him looking all goofy and so totally not alpha like that it made her whole self dizzy, Sariah had made a fool of herself in front of him more times than she could count, it was about time the tables were turned.Sariah nodded as he commented his thoughts on raspberries and she ran her tongue along her bottom lip “When I was younger I begged my mom to let me plant flowers in the garden and being my mother she totally brought me home a raspberry bush instead” she laughed softly “I didn’t know the difference til it grew and started growing berries” she smiled brightly “They were the best” she mused remembering tending to that plant fondly.

Sariah wasn’t sure how he would react to her story, she had chosen this one first because despite it’s sad ending it was one of the easier ones for her tell, she had been young when it happened and she’d had years to process what happened and move forward, grow from the things she learned. She laughed softly when he mentioned him revealing his supernatural identity “You know, I always knew something was weird about the world” she admitted with a shrug “I mean it’s not exactly what I imagined, I have a pretty vivid imagination that likes to run all over the place” she laughed realizing she was trailing off the point “What she told me made everything make sense I guess, once it sunk in anyway”.

Sariah’s eyes dropped downwards as he spoke his condolences, even years down the line it still hurt when she thought about how anyone could take an innocent girl’s life simply for being born different “The rational part of me knows there’s nothing I could have done but” she reached up and pressed her hand against her heart for a moment “The other part needed to feel like I was doing something about it” she wasn’t the kind of person who could sit and watch while others suffered, it hurt her inside and brought feelings of guilt over her.

It had been easier than she thought it would be to say it out loud and she had to admit that she did feel better sharing even a small part of her story with Orion, she supposed they had been through more difficult times than any person should have to go through and in that respect it was easy to understand one another. Her gaze was brought back up to his when he spoke again assuring her that she had done good by her promise in her friend’s memory “God I hope so” she echoed with a half smile as his hand found hers. The human ambassador leaned forward into his touch meeting his deep blue eyes for a few moments with hers and allowing herself to get lost.

As she came back to reality Sariah decided to she would be brave, it was her turn to take a risk. Her brow furrowed a little not sure if she was ready for the answer she would get or how she would even process it all, she wasn’t all that bothered about the age difference between them but she had to wonder if his children might be “What do your kids think about” the blonde made general gesture with her arms letting his hand go as she did so “this” she finished her question, the last thing she wanted to do was putting him in a weird place with the most important people in his life.

It was funny really, the thing Orion hated to talk about the most was himself and yet it was easy with Sariah. He didn’t feel judged or like the words he spoke changed the way she viewed him. Though maybe it was more along the lines that he liked to keep the past buried since it was easy to move forward that way. No matter the reasoning he was just comfortable with Sariah after the countless meetings and run ins she was an important part of his life, even if he was just opening himself up to that idea fully. This was clear area not tread on by either in some time and they were both hesitant and taking it in strides and he was glad that Sariah was able to not get too stuck on the hazy potentials the future held, at least for now.

Every other time they two had met there was an air of formality to it, the two bound by duty and in a situation where they had to maintain appearances so it was refreshing to let that all go. They were still both the Ambassadors of their species but they didn’t have to worry about prying eyes or discussing documents and alliances. The conversation was heavy and not one most would consider having anywhere especially not a first date but the two already knew the most basic information about one another and Sariah likely knew more about him than what he had told her since he was sure she had looked into him after their first run in. Not that he could fault her for that. “Peace would have been rare preferable to the life I’ve lead but I don’t regret it. I couldn’t help or save everyone but I did what I could and to me that’s what matters.” Though he had to admit that peace was treating him well, except for the small hiccup with Elijah anyway. “There are all sorts of wisdom and I think you should give yourself more credit.” He stated with a smile.

A chuckle left him at Sariah’s jest since she did have a bit of a point but he wasn’t going to let her know that. “Merely being a good date so Holland doesn’t try to poison me or something.” He mused knowing that was be more than a bit excessive but it also might not be completely out of the realm of possibilities. The constant air of seriousness about him dropped since it wasn’t needed or necessary and it was nice to be less than buttoned up and proper. A smile tilted up on his lips as she began her story of wanting to plant flowers which only instilled that the sunflowers had been a good choice in his mind. “It may not have been what you wanted but it ended up being far more than you expected.” He said softly taking in the fact that she rarely spoke of her parents. “So you literally had the fruits of your labor.” He teased having never managed to make much grow himself.

Finding out about a world within your own with species of legend must have been an extraordinary reach to believe. Most humans fell into the supernatural world by being attacked or saved by something they didn’t understand. Others however, like Sariah were invited in and given a huge amount of trust with a heavy secret. “Some how I’m not surprised you were able to see passed the veil most allow to remain over their eyes. Besides if you overanalyzed everything then like you do now I can imagine you began to see the subtle flaws and differences to what you once believed.” Sariah was intelligent and he had no doubt she would have come to the conclusion about the supernaturals one day even if she hadn’t been told. “I don’t think it’s what anyone would imagine which is why Hollywood continues to mess it up so disastrously.” He mused with a deep chuckle since only some myths and lore were true.

Watching her eyes drop he knew the loss of her friend wasn’t something she was over and she likely never would be. People like that stuck with you throughout your entire life and their loss always remained a little raw especially when you lost them at a young age when they should have lived for years to come. “There was nothing you could have done then Sariah but you’ve made it so you don’t have to feel like that again. That another girl doesn’t have to lose a friend over something like that. We all do what we can, when we can and it’s those experiences which drive us and cause us to strive for no one else to be affected by the same heartache. There’s no nobler a cause.” He understood well though since there had been many times when despite his preternatural strength and abilities he had been helpless to protect the people he cared about most or anyone really.

A comfortable silence feel between them as they were able to gather their thoughts and even in her goofy moments he had never seen her this vulnerable and open and that caused a bittersweet smile to pull at his lips. His heart ached for her and what she went through at a young age and he knew that at the time she likely had no one to talk to about it which could make situations like that all the most worse. That just meant she was far stronger than he had imagined and then she gave herself credit for. Orion’s hand gave hers a squeeze in silent support the two just gazing at one another not needing words at the moment. Some how the shared moment of silence felt just as intimate as their conversation though her next question did tempt to bring his nerves to the surface once more. “They’re trying to be understanding and give me what support they can but I think the idea of my moving on is still hard on them both. Their whole lives they’ve only ever seen me with their Mother but I think they would rather I be happy than the shell of a man I was when I came to the city.” He knew things with Sera and Arwyn wouldn’t be easy when it came to his relationship with Sariah but they were both far more understaning than he expected, at least to his face.

Sariah was sure that anyone in a battle with a sane mind would have preferred peace over it but as he quite eloquently noted, peace often wasn’t an option when the other side didn’t want to back down. “Well the thing about peace is that in order to get it you have to fight for it” she responded with raised brows for a moment realizing what her statement meant “Which I guess means that peace doesn’t really exist” she laughed slightly at the thought, sure you could lessen the blow but there would always be someone out there who opposed the idea of peace. The blonde allowed a shy smile to cross her lips in response to his compliment, she wasn’t exactly the best at taking them, her parents had raised her to be humble “Maybe I do” she answered in agreement, she wasn’t there yet, but maybe one day she would be.

Sariah laughed at his defeat allowing a smirk to cross her lips in response to his words “That’s the thing about chemists, they know all the ways to kill you and get rid of the evidence” she winked before laughing again, Holland might put up a good front but really she was actually pretty harmless unless you made fun of her height. Sariah enjoyed being able to joke him without second guessing the things she was saying, now she was an ambassador she had to be far more careful about the things she said and did in public and she was terrible at it, at least here she knew Orion wouldn’t take her words out of context. “Exactly” she responded to his words about her little raspberry bush “Too bad we live in a city, cause if I had a garden I’d have totally planted another one” she shrugged, Evermore was nice but there wasn’t much green in the downtown area.

“That’s a nice way of explaining my obsessiveness” she responded with a chuckle, he was right though, even at a young age she had noticed all the strange things that other people looked right through, her parents had considered sending her to a therapist because of it all. When Katie had told her what happened everything had clicked into place for her and from that day she saw the world with a much broader vision. Hollywood however, did indeed miss the mark fairly often “Part of me wonders if that’s just to throw people off what’s real” she admitted with a shrug, Sariah refused to believe not a single person in Hollywood wasn’t supernatural “Or maybe they’re really as dumb as they act” she chuckled, she wasn’t much for that superficial culture.

His reassurance was nice to hear, since she lost her friend Sariah had done everything she could to be the best version of herself and to extend the goals she had out to others, the organization had been a gift that allowed her to take it on a larger scale but deep down she was still partly that young girl who dreamed of joining the army. “I know that” she responded with a nod “But you know what demons are like I’m sure, making you question everything over and over” she looked up at him for a moment and pressed her lips together “I don’t think they ever really go away” and perhaps that wasn’t a bad thing, because it constantly gave her the fire she needed to keep fighting for a better world.

A lot of people would see silence as a bad thing, especially on a first date but the silence only seemed to make her feel closer to Orion, surrounded by their shared understanding of loss, his ran even deeper than hers did and while he had shared a little about his brothers already she knew that wasn’t where the list ended. Sariah rubbed her thumb gently over the top of his hand though her eyes didn’t leave his as she did so in awe of how strong he was despite the amount of loss he had been through. His answer to her question brought a breath of relief to the blonde, she knew it would be messy but the last thing she wanted to do was cause problems with Orion and his kids, both of which seemed to be really kind and brave souls.

Sariah reached up to tuck her hair behind her ear, a nervous habit she had never been able to shake no matter how hard she tried through the years “What was she like?” Sariah asked before following it up realizing she might not have been clear in her haste to ask before she chickened out “Their mother?” she knew it was probably the most impossible topic for him to talk about but she knew she’d regret it later if she didn’t ask now.

Even the darkest topics didn’t seem to be that way with Sariah, despite the harsh reality of his life it was pretty easy to talk to her about. The war and the short times of peace, his brothers who were still to this day everything to him. Orion wanted to be his best for them and to finally find what he stayed out of their reach for so long, a normal and peaceful life. “Everything worth having is worth fighting for and even a small amount of peace is better than never feeling like you can breathe, forever feeling like the sky will fall at any time. I don’t want to live my life that way anymore.” He knew that in a way he still was but not to the extent he had once been. His lips curved at her words, “There is no maybe to it. You shy away from compliments even when they’re true, most women eat them up. But I think we’ve already established that I like the fact you aren’t like other women.” Which was very true, Sariah was unique and adorably amusing in a way he had never known anyone else to be.

A deep chuckle left him at her words of advice regarding Holland, most might be a little thrown or worried but it did bring him amusement glad that people cared for Sariah that much. “I’m sure she could make a chemically induced heartache seem rather nature and I’d rather not feel that first hand.” He joked knowing if there was anyone he needed to worry about it was Cornelia since the Nephilim Ambassador was close and very protective over Sariah. “I’m sure Cornelia could easily make my brain feel like it’s exploding as well and yet neither would be nearly as bad as the guilt of hurting you or messing this up.” He tended to be the person who was always hardest on himself and now was no exception. “You’re welcome to plan anything you want towards the woods. There’s more than enough room and land which would likely yield some good fruits and veggies. Though you’ve have to tend them since I’ve been known to kill cactus which I didn’t even know was possible.” He said with a deep bout of laughter as he shook his head since he did not have the green thumb in the family.

“An obsessiveness for the truth is nothing to feel bad about or hide. Besides it’s still cute how everything in your office has it’s place.” He said thinking of the time he subtly moved an item on her desk for the blonde to move it back as soon as she noticed even though he saw very little difference in it’s placement. The world was a scary enough place even for those who didn’t know of the supernatural so the fact she didn’t loss her mind at a young age from finding out said a lot. “It could very well be, I mean we do the same thing in Evermore, just twisting the truth enough to keep somethings hidden.” She did have a point since there were likely supernaturals in Hollywood just as there were everywhere else in the world.

Honestly Orion was incredibly impressed and proud of the person Sariah had become especially after losing a friend in such a way. She hadn’t given up or ignored what she knew, she held onto it and fought to make sure bad things like that didn’t happen again. The things that drove a person in such a way were often far from pretty but they were a part of who you were. “Our demons might be our greatest criticizers but they push us to do better without even realizing it. Sometimes they set us back but we just have to remember that’s what they want and not what we should allow.” And boy was it ever hard to pull away from your demons to do better. It was a struggle for him to fall back down that rabbit hole for awhile but for now his demons seemed to be smaller but they always grew to strike at the worst times. “They stay with us always but we decide what to do with them. Dwell on the negative or work for better? You’ve chosen better and don’t let them try to convince you otherwise.”

What was it about Sariah that had such a calming affect on him? Even her scent had a way of relaxing him. The gentle feeling of her thumb brushing his knuckles and the back of his hand brought a goofy smile to his face. A new nervousness seemed to over take her as she brushed her hair behind her ear. Though as the question left her lip he understood her apprehension with asking such a question. “Honestly? I don’t remember a time in my life when she wasn’t in it. I know it existed but it’s hard to pinpoint now. She was courage, strength and out of league in high school. She was beautiful and her witty retorts which should have pushed me away just drew me in more. The more she ignored me the more I wanted her and she finally caved and gave me a chance because to me there were no other girls in high school.” It was impossible to hide the tone of love in his voice as he spoke of the woman he had believed would be his first and his last. Life however had other plans.

“She was a lycan like my son and so fierce. She didn’t have to be a part of my family’s crusade but she wanted to be. Destiny wanted to be a part of every aspect of my life and she was. Her patience was unparallel which is a trait you both seem to possess.” He knew it probably wasn’t a good idea to compare the two but it was hard not to bring up. “Even in my darkest of time she brought me back towards the sun and never gave up on me even when she should have walked away.” Which was another trait they seemed to share as well. “She was everything to me.” He asked honestly, “The night she dead I was ready to trade my life for hers because I knew my children needed her more they needed me. She had a way with the kids that I can never tough, an understanding only a mother can have I guess.” Orion hadn’t looked up at Sariah since he started to answer, his eyes locked on their joined hands instead. “She’s someone I never thought I could come back from losing Sariah and then there was this one lone sunflower that remind me that night ends and the sun will rise.” He stated as he shifted his gaze back to hers.

If Sariah was to recount this particular date back to anyone it would probably sound strange but to her everything felt right, they were long overdue a talk like this, one where things weren’t simply polite and they got into the areas they really didn’t want to talk about. Sariah had a lot of doubts when it came to dating, she had been hurt more times than she wanted to admit and putting her trust in others rarely came easy. Orion however was proving to be a small glimpse of hope for her, someone she felt like she could confide in without fear of judgement and most importantly, someone she could see as a potential partner, in more than one aspect of her life. Sariah nodded slightly in response to his words about compliments “I guess I got so used to being with someone who never gave them that I never learned how to take them” she admitted as she pressed her lips together.

Sariah didn’t have have many friends but those she did have she kept close, she treasured the few people she had really managed to connect with more than anything and to her luck, they seemed to take care of her too. A laugh escaped her lips as he mentioned Cornelia and a whole host of possibilities flashed through the blonde’s mind, Cornelia wasn’t the kind of person you pissed off and got away with it and somehow Sariah had been blessed with the nephilim ambassador’s friendship. “I wish I could tell you there was nothing to worry about but Cor’s a force of her own” she shook her head gently with a wry smile on her lips. She brightened as his offer to plant something by the woods imagining all the things she could grow, though the distance put her off a little worried she’d forget to water it “Killing a cactus takes a certain kind of skill” she stated with an amused chuckle.

Sariah laughed as she realized quite the level that her obsessiveness ran, the small things you didn’t notice until someone else pointed them out to you “I think it’s where a lot of my determination is rooted from” she admitted shrugging a little “I hate mysteries, they bug me more than anything else” and yet she was a player in ensuring that a lot of the people in Evermore never got to solve that mystery, it wasn’t something she was the biggest fan of, but the organization had served to protect humans from themselves for the longest time and she had to agree there was a lot of risk involved in humans knowing about the supernatural “Where do you draw the line though” she mused with a thoughtful expression, at what point was it right to tell people the truth instead of covering it up, that was the moral line she had to walk every single day.

“They do say that your worst enemy is usually yourself” she responded with a nod of her head, it was true, throughout her life she had been her own biggest criticizer, she had doubted herself and she had let herself down more times than she could count. But she had also become a stronger and more defined person by pushing back on herself, pushing the boundaries that her mind liked to put in the way. It may have taken her longer than she wished to get there, but she was proud of the person she had become in spite of her demons and she hoped he could say the same. “Has anyone ever told you you’re really wise?” she questioned as she looked back at him, she felt like everything he said resonated with her on a level beyond what most people said, perhaps it was a side effect of going to hell and back.

She had to admit that even though it was a small thing, feeling his hand in hers was comforting and felt nice, Sariah had tended to avoid getting close to people for a long time but with Orion no amount of closeness felt like quite enough. It was a strange sensation for her, one she hadn’t felt in a long time, mostly down to her own choice to create distance. Her nerves were justified, after all, these was nothing that Sariah was more curious about when it came to Orion than the woman who had clearly been his sun and stars. The blonde leaned forward a little watching his expressions from over the table as she took in the words he was saying keeping silent as to not interrupt his recalling. She could tell from his tone just how much he loved her and she couldn’t even imagine how hard it had been to lose her.

When he pointed out both their level of patience she allowed a smile to cross her lips, patience was always one of the things she had been very good at, perhaps because she spent a lot of her time alone as a child and became independent. Sariah noticed how his eyes remained downwards on their joined hands and squeezed gently as he continued to speak. Destiny sounded like such a strong and willful woman and the blonde knew she would have to have been to keep up with Orion and his headstrong nature. She could also sense the sadness in his voice, it must have been so hard to lose her that way, wanting to give your life in their place and not being able to. “You must miss her so much” she commented when he finished, her gaze meeting his as he finally broke free from the bubble he had wrapped himself “I mean I feel like I miss her and I didn’t even know her, I wish I did though, she sounds like the kind of person I could have really” she lifted her hands and then pressed them together “You know”  she knew she was over talking but she wanted to get across how in awe she was of Destiny, especially since she had met the two brave kids that they both had raised.

Even painful memories became easier to talk about around Sariah and yet Orion had no idea why it just did. Which was why he was bit surprised at her words which he wasn’t even sure she meant to say but after her lips were pressed tightly together he knew it was something significant. “You’re a very intelligent young woman who seems to have been through a lot. You’re beautiful and you care for others more than you care for yourself which is something most are incapable of these days.” There was so much good in her that was worth complimenting and he wanted her to know that because he saw it. Every day he found out something new about her that was worth complimenting and so far that had been mainly in a professional capacity so he could only imagine he would find many other things to compliment her on tonight.

Orion was well aware he should have a hefty amount of fear and respect for both Holland and Cornelia and he did respect them but he didn’t necessarily fear them. That was probably due to the fact that he knew he would be the one to beat himself up over messing this up more than anyone else ever could. Though he wasn’t going to mess this up, not intentionally and he hoped not accidentally either but time would tell. “Under estimating her where you’re concerned would be a very fatal mistake. Though I think she’s more upset at the amount of time we’ve been dancing around this than anything else at this point.” There was a chuckle to his tone since the three were good friends which had put Cornelia in the middle of many conversations on this subject with more than likely both of them. “Apparently a cactus can be over watered and under watered so it just seemed like a complex math problem and I gave up.” At this point he was full on laughing at the memory since even his kids hadn’t figure out how he had managed that one. Orion might have many skills but gardening was not one of those skills.

Orion had never really been obsessive with much other than his kid’s training which had likely driven them insane at a younger age but it had all been for their survival. A parent doesn’t want to have to bury a child and in Nevada that had been a reality waiting in the wings but thankfully it had never been his reality. “Hopefully I’m a little less of a mystery these days but if it’ll keep you around I could always work on the mysticism.” He jested since he did want to keep her around since he had gotten rather used to her being a part of his life and he hoping she would becoming a larger part of it. “That’s a good question since I often think that maybe humanity would do better knowing that the things that go bump in the night are more than myths and legends but then I remember the stories of the past and species being hunted to near extinction not because they were a true threat but because they were preserved that way.” The part of humanity within the city that did know and was part of the Organization walked a very thin line and did everything in their power to be level footing with the rest of the supernaturals which called the city home. But there were many out there which would hold grudges and vendettas and if they knew how to harm supernaturals and that they really existed, it might not end well.

Orion had to agree with that saying since despite the harm another could do to you, the person that could mentally hurt you the worst was yourself. You were also the most judgmental and critical of yourself because there was no one who knew you better. As she asked if anyone ever told him he was wise he couldn’t help but laugh, “I’m told it comes with age and experience but you gain wisdom for all of your experiences in life no matter your age all good and bad things teach us something if we just bother to look back and see what that might be.” Though sometimes looking back wasn’t the easiest thing to do especially when you just wanted to move forwards and away from the past. “I’ve just learned a long time ago that no matter what happens you have to keep moving forward or you may as well be dead.” And he didn’t intend to be physically or mentally dead any time soon even if one didn’t always have control of their fate in that regard.

Even talking to his children about Destiny still brought tears to his eyes and despite the melancholy feeling that accompanied her memory he didn’t feel tears tonight. It was probably just due to the way Sariah held onto his hand like an anchor, a remind that she was here with him which really helped. It reminded him that despite the good and the bad it was memories he wouldn’t trade for anything. Life was filled with good and bad and if you only ever focused on the bad you wouldn’t get far and there had been so much good in that relationship. With Destiny there had been so many firsts, she was his first real love and his first heartbreak all rolled into one, she had been his partner, his equal and the mother to the two most amazing children any father could ask for. Everyday he thought of her usually during the quiet moments when he first awoke or the ones right before he drifted off to sleep.

The gentle increase of pressure as Sariah squeezed his hand grounded him more and he surprised how much he told since it was not a tale he liked to recount. Loving someone that much made it feel at the time of their loss that you could never love anyone again, that allowing someone else in would be an insult to the memory of the person you loved. The dream of Destiny had reminded him that wasn’t so, she wouldn’t want him to go through the remainder of his life alone especially if he found someone who made him happy and Sariah really did since she was so different from anyone he had never met before. “I miss her a little less everyday but there’s always some sort of reminder that will kick in and make some days worse than others.” He wasn’t going to lie to Sariah and say he didn’t miss Destiny or think of her from time to time because that would be an insult to two women he cared deeply about. “I think you would have gotten along had you met, different but similar in some ways. She was what I needed then and I will always be grateful for the time we had since it was more years than I ever expected. Nevada was not a kind place when it came to my family but in this new chapter of my life I needed to reminded there’s still life out there, still a brightness to life and a lighter side that I tend to forget about.” He said with a small laugh since Sariah tended to have a way with reminding him not to take life too seriously.

“I’ve already lived the life of war were I questioned if I still had my humanity for some of the acts I committed and she was much the same way. We were both at a point where we needed out of Nevada but neither of us would admit it. Her death reminded me that one day we all die, we can’t stop that but we’re in control of how we’re remembered and what we’ve done with our lives and that’s why I came to Evermore. I think that’s what drew me to you, you don’t question your mortality because you never allow your mortals to be pushed or questioned, you stand strong despite the resistance you get.” He had no idea how she was able to hold onto her mortals and humanity in such a job as hers but she did and never allowed anyone to make her question it. “You’re so much stronger than I’ve been in past and despite a few slip ups I have learned a lot from you. I remembered who I used to be and who I want to be and that’s a feat in and of itself.” Leaning forwards he gently kissed her lips before backing off slightly with a smile on his lips, “Thank you.”

Sariah rarely ever talked about her relationship with Noel, after she had left she had cut ties with pretty much everyone who had ever known him and moved as far as she could away, she didn’t want people feeling sorry for her or looking at her like she was broken while she tried to heal in the ways she knew how. She supposed that was also part of the reason that she had pushed her parents to arms length. If the human ambassador’s eyes could sparkle she was sure they would in that moment though, just with simple words Orion made her feel validated and important, things she had never got to experience in the past “What shocks me the most is that you really mean that” if they were going to talk about her insecurities might as well start at the worst, the blush evident on her cheeks as she looked back at him.

Sariah chuckled as she remembered the night Cornelia and her had gone out and gotten pretty drunk and the blonde had confessed to the nephilim ambassador that she had been waiting on a guy to call her who never did. Of course it had been easy for the detective to put two and two together, it wasn’t like half the ambassador council didn’t know already after all “Well in my defense, I believe both the number and this date were of my suggesting” she smirked a little, but he was right, they had both been deliberating whether this was what they wanted for a long time now she supposed. Sariah couldn’t stop the laughter as she thought about how much water you’d have to flood a cactus with in order to kill it “I feel like you need some kind of award for pulling that off” she admitted as she scrunched up her nose.

Sariah tilted her head in response to his words around mysticism and she shrugged “Oh you’re still a mystery to me” she admitted with chuckle “Just in a, I don’t know how someone can be so kind and brave after everything they’ve been through, kinda way” she smiled softly, life always had a certain element of mystery, it would be boring if you knew everything after all, the future always held some sort of surprise around the corner. It made her stomach feel a little fluttery at the way he talked about the future like it was a certain thing but in a way it also filled her with confidence which he seemed to reflect off him in waves. Her question wasn’t an easy one to answer, after all, there was a massive level of risk involved in putting faith in the good nature of people, Sariah knew all too well that there were far too many people who wouldn’t understand, who would see the supernatural as a threat to humankind. “And now you understand the full extent of my dilemma” she sighed dramatically as she leaned back into the couch placing her hands behind her head.

Sariah had to admit that Orion challenged her, especially in the emotional side of herself, he made her think twice when she was doubting herself and he also pushed her to think more broadly about the person she was trying to be, he helped to remind her of the goals she had made for herself and even spurred her to push harder for them when she saw the way he overcame all the difficulties that came to him. “Most of my life I’ve been surrounded by really smart people, like able to solve the impossible smart but I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone quite as smart when it comes to life” she laughed realizing it probably sounded a little cheesy “I mean who gets potentially sight loss causing solution thrown in their eyes and doesn’t blame the person who threw it” she laughed softly but her expression showed quite how much she respected him for the decisions he made, or most of them anyway.

Sariah had to admit this was the question she had been most afraid to ask, having only loved one woman all his life the blonde could only imagine how impossible it would feel to be able to move forward, especially when that person had been the mother of his two children and been a part of his life for longer than he could remember. Sariah had to admit there was some envy in her but not towards Destiny, she was jealous of the pure and dedicated relationship he described because it was all she had ever wanted for herself. Perhaps that was selfish of her, but after having such a bad run of relationships, she had started to wonder if love was even a real thing. And then she heard stories of people like Orion and Destiny and she was reminded that not every relationship was built on a foundation of distrust and lies, it restored a small part of her belief in others.

Sariah nodded softly as he agreed that he missed her, of course he would, she’d be worried if he said otherwise. Naturally a smile was brought to the blonde’s lips surrounded by the happy memories he had recounted, Sariah was glad to know that the sadness he had experienced in his life seemed to balanced by a lot of happiness too, she knew that made it hurt more when you lost someone but as her mama had always told her ‘It was better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all’. The way he described what attracted him to her was echoed in her own thoughts about him, Sariah had never been the charismatic type because her awkward babbling tended to put people off, but members of Orion’s pack were blindly loyal to him by choice, he was a fair and strong leader for them and she learned a lot from his leading too.

Sariah went quiet as he complimented her once more, her cheeks feeling flushed again as she listened to the way he talked about her and about himself when he was around her, she felt stronger just knowing he noticed and admired those things about her. Her breath hitched in her throat for a moment as she felt his aura drawing nearer to hers and she leaned forwards without a word to meet his lips in a gentle tender kiss. It was just a brief moment but she could feel her heartbeat quicken in her chest as she was enveloped in his masculine scent for a few seconds. When he pulled away a dorky grin graced her expression “Kissing you makes my head spin” she admitted as she rested one of her hands against her cheek, she had to admit it felt great to have one that wasn’t a goodbye kiss “I feel like a teenager all over again” she did like to say embarrassing things but it was the truth.

Snapping herself out of it she raised to her feet collecting the plates from the table and balancing them on her arms quite impressively “Right, we’d better get these into the fridge before I completely forget about them” she chuckled and went to take them and the leftover food into the kitchen “Did I ever tell you I was a bartender back in college?” she called back to him as she started setting things down on the table, Sariah certainly wasn’t going to waste perfectly good leftovers she could take to work all week. “Not a very good one albeit but it was probably the most entertaining job I ever worked” she laughed realizing quite how mundane that sounded.

Normally Orion wasn’t so bold and forthcoming because he wasn’t used to dating or the mere idea of it but he did know that you should always appreciate a person for their strengths and from time to time let them know that with compliments. It wasn’t necessarily flattery since everything he said was true. She truly was like a sunflower, able to grow in harsh conditions and always point towards the sun and reach towards the light no matter how dim or bleak. How someone couldn’t notice and compliment her on that was beyond him but that was someone else’s loss and poor judgement call. “When have I ever said anything to you that I don’t mean? One day I hope you can look into the mirror and see what I see in you Sariah. Even your rambling in endearing and definitely helps to ease an awkward situation.” He said with a wink since for some reason what stood out most to him about their first meeting wasn’t the fact that she had blinded him but that she had tried to distracted him with her ramblings which were rather adorable even when he was having a near panic attack.

A chuckle left him as she stated credit for the number and the date, “I will give you credit on the number and partial credit on the date because you told me to keep my distance.” He reminded her since she had said she needed space and he respected that no matter how badly he didn’t want to. That was the problem with being a honorable man, you sometimes ended up being the one waiting around on a woman but he didn’t have a problem relinquishing that power to the right one. He had waited years for Destiny and he knew, though he wouldn’t admit it, that he would have waited for Sariah as well. Maybe he would admit it but that was unlikely to be attempted to anyone other than her. “They say most men spend their lives waiting on a woman and any smart man is willing to wait on the right one.” He said eluding to his own thoughts since she was worth the wait and tonight was worth it as well. “Well if you ever find a mug that says ‘Number One Plant Killer, hashtag RIP Cactus’ I’m not saying I wouldn’t use it.” He couldn’t help but chuckle thinking of those cheesy number one or world’s best boss mugs.

A smile pulled at his lips due to her works, he didn’t really think he was that mysterious, at least not anymore. There were still somethings about him she didn’t know but in one night they’d managed to knock out a few of the major ones that was for sure. “That’s a mystery I’ll have to keep to myself, mainly because I haven’t figure it out yet either.” He’d like to say it was just in his nature but he knew that wasn’t in, “There’s a saying about no diamond being able to be formed without a lot of pressure. So I guess my hardships were just pressure trying to form me into what I’m meant to be.” It seemed a better way to look at it than many of the alternatives and though he might not always be the most optimistic he knew he was still alive for a reason. In the space of a few years he had gone from thinking no one needed him to being the leader of a faction and an Ambassador in this city, it was a very surreal feeling. Though his time in Nevada and the countless historical texts in the faction house told him Sariah had one hell of a job with keeping the balance especially when it came to what truths to release.

A deep chuckle rumbled through him as Sariah spoke of being surrounded by incredibly smart people all of her life and some how he made his way into that category with his wisdom on life. “Honestly I always felt like the outcast among my brothers because there were both far more intelligent than I was with math and science but they would always put me at ease by reminding me that I had a way with people. A way of understanding a person and the issues they faced and helping them which was something no book would ever be able to teach.” Despite the usual sibling rivalry which came with being brothers Ares and Perseus had always made sure he knew his own worth and remembered his strengths. Leaning forward he nearly doubled over in laughter tears coming to his eyes as she mentioned his lack of blame for blinding him. It took him a moment to stop laughing and catch his breath, “I think part of me was just hoping it was some sort of bad dream,” He joked as he shook his head, “Though I’ve been shot and stabbed by people I’ve tried to help in the past. Not because they meant to harm me but because fight or flight took control and I never blamed them for it either. Of course, none of the rest were a gorgeous intellectual blonde so you had that in your favor.” He teased with a wide smirk on his face since they both knew he hadn’t cared what she looked like at the time. “On the flip side, who blinds a person and stays to make sure they can see again?”

It had taken nearly two years for Orion to be able to remove his wedding ring and to give actual thought to the future. Two years to make a fraction of peace with losing the woman who had meant everything to him. To moving on and dating wasn’t easy, it was terrifying really but just knowing that Sariah was equally as nervous to test to water put him at ease and made it easier to tread these unchartered waters. It was a risk but it was a thrilling one and he hoped for the best outcome but time would tell, making it through their first actual date was a massive step and yet he had to say they were doing great.

It was so easy to just say what he thought about her and the influence she had on his life whether she realized it or not. Regardless of the feelings he had for her even from an Ambassador stand point she had taught and reminded him of a lot of things. Add in their personal connection and she’d changed his life reminding him there was another way and that his instinct weren’t always right. Though he was pretty sure they were when it came to her. Never had he imagined that he would feel young and nervous again like he was on his first date even though that had been a very long time ago. Things with her were just, new and vibrant and kept him guessing. The kiss they shared seemed to send a shock straight through his body reminding him of exactly how good it felt to be with someone you cared about. To know that they wanted to be there in that moment with you too. It was like a wave of warm energy just flowed over him and he got lost in the short lived moment before pulling away.

“I kind of like the idea of not knowing which way is up.” He said with a chuckle since left him a bit light headed as well but it was a feeling he wouldn’t mind experiencing again. It was sweeter than the thought to be good bye kiss in her office, no bitterness or sorrow tainting it, just pure positive emotions and attraction. He shouldn’t have waited so long to kiss her or tell her how he felt. It had been unfair to do so given the situation he had been walking into but this kiss was far better and the one he would rather remember. “I’d say it might be the kiss talking but I think we both know that’s not the cause, but I really like you Sariah Holloway and I’m glad you gave me a second chance.”

As soon as Sariah’s shift in focus changed he stood up from his seat not wanting her to do all the work since that was rather unfair. She did have a point though since leaving the food out was something they were both likely to do since they had forgotten about it while lost in conversation once already. “I’m trying to imagine you as a bar tender and the awkward rambling conversations you were likely to have.” He said with a chuckle as he helped her gather up and close all of the take out containers. “Going to guess they’re going in the fridge?” He asked before she nodded at him before they started pretty much playing fridge Tetris with take out containers. “You have to have some pretty good stories of your bar tending days. It’s definitely not a boring job and I’ve always rather enjoyed people watching in bars.” He had only ever really worked the private security sector since that was the family business other than hunting down rouge vampires. Which meant his amusing stories were few and far between other than a few of his brother’s slip ups.

Sariah had noticed changes in Orion since the day they met, they were subtle and if you weren’t paying attention then you were likely to miss them, she felt the shift in him more and more as they got to know one another, like his walls were slowly coming down and giving her an insight to the vulnerable person that existed underneath, the one who couldn’t stand the idea of losing someone he cared about again and was ready to put himself in the firing line to stop it from happening. His question caused her to raise her hands a little realizing what she said could have been taken differently than how she meant it “Oh…I didn’t mean you” she admitted before her eyes dropped downwards for a moment “Just most of the people I knew before you” his teasing however brought a smile to her lips brightening her lapse of mood, everything she had been once told made her annoying or odd he seemed to like the most about her, it was a strange reality for her.

The blonde smirked triumphantly as he admitted her credits “I can accept a half award” she responded, it was true that she had told him she needed space and she had, it was a lot of process for her and Sariah knew it wouldn’t be the last time that the two butted heads on morals. Now however, Sariah felt like she understood Orion on a deeper level than before, she understood where his need to put other’s safety before his came from, his need to hold on to those closest to him. That didn’t mean she agreed with his choice, but at least now she could respect it. His words about waiting however caused her to exhale slowly, there was a way he had with words that just sent her head off into outer space and while it was unfamiliar and a little scary to here, she didn’t want to come down “Words to live by” she responded with a laugh, patience was something she was going to need when it came to a relationship, Sariah knew she wouldn’t be the kind of person to rush anywhere she wasn’t sure she wanted to go.

This night had already meant so much to Sariah, perhaps it just seemed like friendly conversation but to her it felt so much deeper than that, it allowed her to see the side of Orion she had gotten glimpses of before, the softer side of him which he seemed to like to hide around others. Sariah liked this part of him but she also liked the alpha part too, he was strong and willing to be a pillar for the pack that needed him. The human ambassador knew very little about what it must be like to be a therianthrope but she imagined it was easy to get lost in the pack mentality and break yourself off from the world around you. She imagined that was why a lot of therianthrope packs lived far from any other communities and stayed to themselves. “Well when you figure it out, I’d love to know your secret” she chuckled and winked. He had turned a lot of darkness into something much brighter and she commended that, especially because she imagined it would have been so easy to just give up.

Sariah could understand feeling like an outcast, she had always been so ahead of everyone when she was younger that she felt out of touch with the people around her, because of that she hadn’t made many friends, that remained true to this day “There are sooooo many levels to the word smart” she explained, there was intellectually smart, there was logically smart, there was people smart and she was sure there were hundreds of others “And I’d say both your brothers were smart themselves for realizing that” she smiled brightly, it wasn’t about knowing everything, no one could know and be everything but knowing someone who could do what you couldn’t, that was where real power laid. His laugh was infectious and Sariah found herself joining his burst of hilarity his joking bringing an amused look to her expression, her brows raising for a moment as he called her a gorgeous intellectual “And how would you have know any different, after all you couldn’t see” she teased back tilting her head at his return of the question “Someone who feels very bad for throwing an unfinished prototype in the eyes of a complete stranger” she admitted as she pressed her hands against her face peering out between the gaps between her fingers.

The kiss, whilst brief was everything that she had wanted it to be, filling her with emotions that spun around in her head and made her feel light and free. This time it wasn’t sadness that overflowed her mind thinking that it might be the last but instead she felt a swelling sense of this being a beginning. Of what she didn’t know yet, that was for them both to try and figure out along the way but she felt optimistic, excited even, at the prospect of figuring that out.

She echoed his words with a soft giggle, her mind wrapped up in all the positive thoughts which seemed to flow through her from head to toe. The blonde had experienced many kisses in her life but none of them made her feel quite the way this one did, like it was everything but that she needed more all at the same time. At his admissed she looked back at him and then laughed gently a bright smile crossing her expression “I really, really really like you too, Orion Valkyrie” she looked at him for a moment feeling content, happy even that she had chosen to step out of her comfort zone for this one.

Sariah shrugged as he tried to picture her previous life as a bartender, not the finest moments of her life she had to admit but it was certainly an experience. “Well, I admit I wasn’t exactly the best at small talk, since you know… talking about code is small talk to me” she laughed and rolled her eyes playfully “not to mention I was always dropping glasses, I swear I am the most clumsy person ever” she smiled as she helped him load the things into the fridge nudging him softly with her shoulder when he reached over somewhere she was trying to get to. “One time two drunk guys got in a fight over who got to have my attention” she mused with a laugh though even when the fridge was closed and they were done stacking she remained close to him enjoying the proximity between them a little too much. “So no dead end jobs before you made it big?” she questioned with raised brows curious to know the path he had decided to take as a professional.

RSS

© 2024   Created by ✓ Ophelia Dreyvalian ~Admin~.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service