Tonight was the night. Sariah had spent the past few days since her last meeting with Orion pondering over everything, wondering what tonight was going to be like, of all the things she might learn about him and what she might even reveal about herself. It was weird to think about this being their first date considering all of the things they had been through together and the depth that her feelings ran, first dates were usually the ice breakers and figuring out if there was any kind of connection but this one, this one was different, which only added to the nerves that were piling on.

Sariah's apartment was cosy, despite being the leader of the organization she wasn't paid half as much as she could have been had she chosen to go down either a more corporate or a more illegal route. It was however enough to keep her comfortable and in her opinion, it was decorated nicely. The blonde had spent the past few hours getting ready bit by bit, mostly by pacing back and forth between her room and the living area to prepare everything. Sariah was somewhat of a serial planner, her mind liked to stress over every little detail she was sure most people didn't even notice.

The ambassador was dressed in a dark orange loose fitting dress which moved easily around her, she opted not to bother with shoes since they didn't intend on going out anywhere and Sariah didn't think any sane girl would wear heels around their apartment by choice. Her blonde hair was curled and framing her face in a half updo that was mostly to keep her hair out of her eyes while still looking like she made more than and effort than her usual ponytail and her glasses were tucked away neatly in the dresser replaced with the contact lenses she saved for special occasions.

Once she was happy with her outfit she had called ahead to the Chinese place and ordered a bunch of food to be delivered, not knowing what Orion's preference was she had just picked a range of different dishes and some bases to ensure there was something he would like. On the table she had set two plates and glasses as well as a few bottles of different things to drink. It wasn't often that Sariah really had any visitors to her apartment so she had enjoyed the opportunity to dig out all of the housewarming gifts she had been given when she moved to Evermore and finally allow them to see the light of day.

Sariah had so far done pretty well at not panicking about the part that she was really nervous about, after all, this would be where they figure out whether the feelings that were blossoming between the two of them are something they want to pursue and while Orion had been confident they would have a second date, Sariah was still apprehensive about the answers she might get to the questions she had. After all, this wouldn't be the kind of date where they talked about the weather or at least she hoped it wouldn't because she had so much more to say than that.

Her spiral of thoughts was interrupted by the sound of the doorbell ringing and her eyes widened for a moment before she made a quick dash around the room to grab matches and light the candle on the mantlepiece. Coming to a stop she set she box down on the table and then smoothed down her dress and took a deep breath before she walked over to the entrance hall and reached for the handle to open the door. Stepping around the door she glanced down at her watch for a moment and smiled as she looked up to meet his gaze "On time" she confirmed with a gentle laugh stepping aside to invite him inside.

Views: 958

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

So far at events they seemed to at least attempt to keep their distance but by the end of the night they were easily talking to one another. Which had made it easier to handle the events he was required to attend as an Ambassador, besides it was rather entertaining at times to watch others in attendance. “I’m sure we could find ways to entertain ourselves but we will have to face the real world eventually.” The looks of judgement and questions but they would handle those as they came. Despite being a rather patient man, his patience did have an end if people kept pushing. “Those were the two major reasons for attendance at most events until I met you. Now the food and alcohol have taken a bit of a backseat.” He replied since things had definitely change and he was fine with that fact.

A smirk curved his lips since Sariah Holloway was something else for sure and she was the kind of something else that was impossible to ignore. “Did you just make an old joke at me?” He teased since his children and even Harper at times tended to joking about him getting older and his memory not working as well. He never took it personally though and was merely acting offended but he couldn’t keep it up as he started to chuckle. “I don’t think I’ll ever forget that Sariah.” Which was very true since if it did for some reason slip his mind he had no doubt she’d bring him back to reality real quick like. “I’m not sure you have an off switch.” He mused light heartedly since that was something he didn’t mind in the least. It was cute when she got flustered and couldn’t seem to stop talking.  At least he knew there wouldn’t be a lot of awkward silences.

Orion knew Sariah was always curious about things she couldn’t experience and to be something supernatural wasn’t something that was easy to wrap your mind around. If he had remained human there would have been a lot he didn’t fully understand and it was hard to explain to someone who could never feel those things. Which in his mind was fine since he never wanted Sariah to have to feel the pain that came with the first turning since it was the worst you would ever feel it as especially if you tried to fight it and the pain. A chuckle left him as she mentioned his eyes, “The natural aura and the eyes do their job well, especially when your animal sounds like a cartoon character. Or has a whole song about what sort of noises you make.” He had gotten a lot of hell when that song had first come out since it was pretty much a lot of non-sense but people liked to ask him what does the fox say. Usually his words weren’t necessarily polite. “I like your eyes just the way they are and it’s really not worth it. Trust me your serum works.” A chuckle left him as he shook his head watching as she tried to push up her currently missing glasses which caused his laughter to increase. Her complete and total innocence at times through him through a loop and she was adorably endearing and Cornelia was right, she needed to be protected, maybe not physically but that ease of life and simple happiness and natural cuteness was worth protecting.

If anyone asked Orion would honestly admit that he had be terrified the day Arwyn was born, not because anything was wrong but because no matter how much you prepared the reality if becoming a parent was far different. He had been afraid to hold his son for fear of dropping him but that had passed the moment he held Arwyn in his arms. It had been much the same way with Seraphina even though she was his second child. Newborns were so small and precious and it was just one of those feelings that had no equal. As Sariah cleared her throat he gave her a supportive smile, “I know, I wish I could say this was all going to be cake walk but neither of us seems to take the easy route.” He tried to ease her mind but he knew it was a lot to take in, “They’re both adults and I think they can handle it. I know it won’t be easy at first for either of them but they understand more than I give them credit for at times.” He knew both were curious as well since neither had anticipated him moving on.

It was always amusing how one simple off hand comment could turn into something you actually ended up giving thought to. It wasn’t the worst idea in the world and it would be highly entertaining after all. “Part of me really hopes that was an unintentional pun since fox are part of the Canidae family like dogs.” Though calling a fox a dog could definitely be insulting depending on the context. It did seem fitting in many ways since the underdogs might be unlikely winners or heroes that people liked to support and tended to think of their relationship much in the same way. He knew they did have people on their side hoping they would succeed but he only really cared about how the two of them saw what they had. “There might be a few lists. All good ones.” He explained so she didn’t worry as he smirked softly.

It was strange to think that he had come to Evermore a broken and mourning man with no thought of even attempting to move on. He had come here to lick his wounds before going back to the life he knew despite the rather large missing piece, what had happened was not that. It was a series of odd events and complications that had brought them together and at least it had kept things interesting. Orion owed Sariah a lot but that wasn’t why he was with her, she was that bright ray of color and light when he had needed it most. “Don’t you know Kitsune are known for being persuasive and bending the will of others?” He joked since that was far from true, they could lie flawlessly but they didn’t have any increased skills of persuasion as many didn’t myths told.

Time always seemed to slip away from them and that was once again what happened tonight as they were wrapped up in one another. Nothing else mattered but the woman in is arms as they kissed. At least it didn’t until the clock began to chime. The last time he had bothered checking the time it had been around nine but the last few hours seemed to have disappeared. “Stealing time is one of my special skills.” He mused still keeping his arms wrapped around her. “It’s summer and it’s been awhile since I’ve done a cook out. Tonight was about learning each other and seeing if this was even a real possibility and it is. So it’s alright with you I was thinking a cook out at my house, with my kids and given I am a big kid a heart, deep, deep down,” He joked, “Water gun war?” He grinned since really what better way to beat the heat?

Sariah had to admit it was a night thought that she wouldn’t have to show up to events alone, to have someone by her side to help her face the night. The last few events they had ended up talking to one another but that could have easily been played off as polite talk. “We have had our fair share of late night talks haven’t we” she mused with a laugh, things felt easier when he was around and time seemed to move way quicker than she wanted it to. Blink and they were saying their goodbyes for the night, much like this evening which she didn’t want to end but felt the time slipping through their fingers.

Sariah chuckled when he picked up on what she was implying, it was somewhat of a double meaning because she was sure he had known this all along. “No, I would never” she responded pressing her hands against mouth dramatically before joining his laughter though her expression softened to a smile when he followed up more seriously, she nodded her head gently in agreement. Sariah found it hard to live with silence, silence bugged her, it made her feel like it needed to be filled and that’s why her default was just to talk everyone’s ear off “Me neither” she agreed with him “My mind just likes to come up with the stupidest way to say something and I don’t want people to take it the wrong way so I just keep talking, like mindlessly in the hope that they understand..” she stopped for a moment and sighed “What I’m trying to say” she finished cursing herself for doing exactly what she just said she didn’t want to.

She had to admit that he needed little more than his alpha presence to get across exactly where he stood, both in the city and she supposed within his own pack. “At first the whole...feeling I got when I saw them gave me” she shuddered as if to express what she meant “But I’m getting used to it, I guess in a way that was a small eye into what it’s like to be supernatural from the other side” she nodded, she could experience the tail end of supernatural powers, just not what it was like to have and control them. His laughing at her attempt to push up her invisible glasses caused her to give a slight pout “I have a high IQ but it’s definitely balanced out with my general inability to human” she laughed softly, she was the most clumsy person she knew and she was good at embarrassing herself without even trying.

“If we took the easy route then we definitely wouldn’t be here right now” they had said it already but it would have been so incredibly easy to walk away and give up. Part of her had wanted to because it seemed so much simpler than trying to figure out how two ambassadors of very different factions ever made things work without eventually stepping on one another’s toes. Now that she was here though, feeling his study arms hold her frame those thoughts of walking away were so far from her mind that she couldn’t even remember her reasons for wanting to. His answer was optimistic but he knew his kids better than anyone in the world she was sure and if he believed they could handle it, then she would too. “Okay” she responded as she pressed one of her hands against his chest “I trust your judgement” she added apprehensively.

Sariah laughed at his comments about the pun, it hadn’t been intentional but it was pretty fitting now that he brought it up. She hummed gently as she tipped her head up to meet his gaze “The fox and the scientist, who would have thought right?” certainly she hadn’t at first but now Sariah honestly couldn’t picture her life without Orion being a part of it. They were the underdogs and the odds were certainly not stacked in their favor but they were both stubborn and willing to fight for what they cared about and that was a good place to start.

When Sariah had arrived in Evermore she had been a broken shell of a person, she had lost every part of herself that she cherished and she had taken so long to find it again. Even now there were still days where her insecurities, ingrained into her from such a toxic relationship crept. Sariah had convinced herself that everyone would eventually let her down and so she had shut them all out, kept them at arm's length, given out fake numbers to avoid going on dates. Orion took that perspective and slowly but surely broke it down, he made her believe that perhaps there was hope and he was the only person she wanted to search for it alongside. Sariah chuckled as he spoke about a supernatural ability for persuasion, she ran her tongue along her bottom lip before she spoke again “You certainly just kinda snuck up on me” she admitted with a smile.

Sariah stifled the urge to groan as she realized it wasn’t long until the evening was over and it was back to the reality they both lived. This evening had been a good refuge from real life, a chance to get to know one another as Orion and Sariah with no one else there to influence or judge. Sariah liked the fact that despite knowing their time was coming to a close Orion was still holding her tightly and looking at her like she was the only person in the whole world. He made her feel special and lifted her spirits, something she hadn’t had in past relationships. His idea seemed like a good way to breach meeting his kids without it being some awkward dinner where no one wanted to talk, it put her mind at ease for the whole idea “Damn, you know my weakness now” she mused noting that he was selling the idea with food. His suggestion of a water gun fight made her laugh, that could get very competitive “Only if it’s girls against boys” she mused imagining her and Seraphina could probably make a pretty good team.

Keeping her eyes on him she smiled softly, taking in the moment and letting out a long happy sigh “I’m trying to convince myself this is real” she admitted, after wanting this for so long it felt surreal to finally be here.

There were a lot of benefits to the budding relationship between the two of them and it had an oddly strong personal foundation. It was far from traditional but he had already taken the traditional path in life and he liked this new and unique path that was one to him with Sariah, it wasn’t simple and it was going to be a rocky road but she had already seen the worst in life and the better side as well. “Late night conversations seemed to one of our strong suits. There’s something I do enjoy at the end of a long day since it’s hard to had a rough night when I have you around.” Which was corny to say the least but it was also the truth since often times their conversations were the best part of his evenings.

Celestial hues playfully narrowed on her but he didn’t mind since he enjoyed when she gave him a hard time. It was just natural after all and he found it rather amusing. “Oh of course, never would you even think about doing such a thing.” He jested with a smirk on his lips loving the sound of laughter which came from her. There had never been another woman like Sariah and he knew there never would be, she was literally one in a million and he was very lucky to have her as his partner and in his life. “Off switches are over rated and I enjoy listening to what you manage to come up with even when you know I’ll never take offense to anything that comes out of your mouth.” Unless it was meant that way and then he would probably take it to heart and be a bit wounded since she was one of the few who could manage that.

Lately his eyes seemed to have a mind of their own taking on the colors of the lycan alpha along with the ailuranthrope alpha. The aura was still the same and he seemed to put some of the therians at the faction house on edge without even trying recently. “The alpha eyes are offsetting to say the least but I’m glad you’re getting use to them since you did see me at my worst and those eyes when they were likely terrifying.” The aura of an alpha tended to affect all species but Therians more than any other since there was just an air of power around them. “You’re, your own kind of alpha Sariah.” He said with a bit of a chuckle since she really was and he enjoyed the way she tackled life and her faction. That chuckle increased in volume at her next words, “It’s adorably endearing and you tend to human much better than I do.” She was the softer side of humanity, proving that your past experiences didn’t have to harden you into a grumpy and angry person.

“I’m not sure that either of us even know how to take the easy route. Or it doesn’t even exist in our lives but as long as you’re on this path with me I don’t care how rocky the rock might get.” Because as he had learned after Elijah, they could get through anything it just took time and communication. Disagreements happened and they were both aware of that and ready to overcome the obstacles that ended up in their way and they both knew that and weren’t going to end up at one another’s throats. There were more than enough things to try to push them apart in live, they weren’t going to allow their positions as Ambassadors to be the thing that broke them. Though how his kids were going to take Sariah was another one of those things that could break them up but he knew his children just wanted him happy. “You should trust my judgement, at least in this context. This is going to be new for them and new things come with challenges and challenges can be overcome.” He replied in an optimistic tone since he was rather optimistic about it all.

The smirk curved his lips at her unintentional pun since he was easily amused when it came to Sariah and he had problem admitting that since she made him happy and made him feel lighter. “I’m not sure anyone would have seen this coming after our first meeting.” He said with a chuckle but she was his human and one hell of a scientist. “The best things in life tend to be the ones you never see coming and least expect.” And they both seemed to be an unexpected wind of change which blew into the other’s life. Orion had gone from a widower thinking he was going to alone for the rest of his life to deeply caring for someone he likely should have avoided since it was rather scandalous in the supernatural community. Not because Sariah was a human but because they were both Ambassadors. The Kitsune could care less though because he cared about her for who she was, not what she was.

The evening was quickly drawing to a close and yet Orion wasn’t in a rush to leave even if they both did have their jobs to get to in the morning. He knew that tonight was fleeting in some ways but what they shared was not and that would be what he would focus on while others focused on small petty portions of their relationship. “I thought your weakness was my company but I guess I can make peace with being second to food.” A chuckle left him since he really didn’t care where he happened to land on the list of selling points as long as he was on it. “Sera tends to be a better shot than Arwyn at times so you’ll have one hell of a teammate.” He informed her since it would be one hell of a fun water gun battle.

Leaning back slightly while still holding her in his arms, he stared into her eyes, “This is as real as it gets. In all it’s imperfect glory with it’s up and downs. There really is no one else I’d want to take this roller coaster ride with since I think most would have tossed me off the ride already.” He replied with a chuckle as he leaned down to kiss her again before pulling back just a bit, “I should probably head out.” He said softly, he wanted to stay but tonight didn’t seem to be the night for it since it had already been full of upsets and down and he wanted to end it on a sweet note.

The blonde couldn’t stop the smile which crossed her expression as he spoke his cheesy words, she was a sucker for talk she she had to admit, she liked to hear the things others might prefer to stay unspoken. “Not to mention we’re both usually working our asses off in the day” she laughed softly, it was definitely a hard path being an ambassador in Evermore, there were so many people looking to you for leadership and support that it left little time to think about much else.

It was easy to joke with him, the two of them having similar taste in humor meant she didn’t think too hard about the things she was saying and whether they would offend him but it was nice to hear him confirm as much in his own words too “If only everyone in the world was as understanding” she mused with a laugh, she’d gotten herself in some strange situations before, mostly at the organization because of the way some of the things she said could be taken “I think if I make one more inappropriate comment around Lena she might front page me” she gave a playful eye roll, she couldn’t help the way her mind worked but sometimes she cursed it.

Sariah nodded softly as he spoke about his eyes, she had to admit she’d never expected to get quite so close to a therianthrope alpha nor anyone of supernatural power really. When Sariah pictured her future it certainly hadn’t been what was now a reality but at the same time, she couldn’t say she wasn’t excited and a little apprehensive to travel down a path which she had no idea where it lead. “You got that right” she affirmed when he called her, her own kind of alpha, her power wasn’t supernatural and there wasn’t some unspoken hierarchy but she had worked her ass off to be in the position of power she was in now, so she supposed that made her some kind of leader. “Tell that to my feet and the inanimate objects I walk into on a daily basis” she laughed, she didn’t think she’d recognize an unclumsy version of herself.

He was right, they had both given up their rights to easy anything when they had opted to take up the mantle of an ambassador and if Sariah was honest with herself, easy bored her and made it easy for her to pull away and move on, Orion had managed to keep her attention which was a strange development for the blonde. The way he spoke so confidently about this meeting helped to settle her stomach a little but she still recognized how strange this was going to be for Seraphina and Arwyn, after all she was close in age to them both than she was to Orion “I just don’t want to make anything difficult for you all, especially with Arwyn just getting back” she bit gently on her lip, she was just afraid they wouldn’t want her around more than anything else and she could totally understand if they didn’t.

Sariah wrinkled her nose as she thought about the first night they had met, it had been a high stress situation and at points she had been afraid but somehow she still left that evening with a smile on her lips, Orion had well and truly snuck up on her that night and every night the two spent together thereafter. “Who’d have thought one of the smartest decisions I’d make would be showing up to a party riddled with vampires” she laughed and shook her head, well it was certainly an interesting tale to tell when people asked how the two of them met and frankly she liked the fact it was more memorable than across a table at an ambassador meeting.

Sariah almost felt as though they had walked into this night and now out of it, completely different people, at peace with understanding the decisions each of them made and their stance on the world. Sariah was glad to see just a fraction more of the life Orion had lead up until now and what that meant for any future they could potentially have. In response to his words Sariah raised her hand to her lips pressing a finger neatly against them “Shhh you’ll alert my enemies on how to defeat me” she teased as she lowered her hand and smirked thinking about how a casual meeting like that might help to diffuse any possible apprehension “Then I shall look forward to taking you both down” she chuckled she had to admit she was a pretty competitive person.

His words took away all of the doubt that was spinning in her mind as she looked back into his deep blue gaze, she eased into his touch on her arms allowing him to pull her closer for what she knew already would be the last time that evening. His lips were all encompassing, she could have gotten lost in his kiss easily, as easy as breathing or falling asleep when your heart was full.  As he pulled away she pouted slightly cursing the fact that time moved so quickly when he was around and the fact they both had work to worry about “I knew you were going to say that” she admitted as she lowered her hands lacing her fingers through his. She knew if she didn’t let him go now then she really would allow herself to get lost in him and his touch all night long.

Realizing where her mind was drifting she shook it off before she tugged on his hand softly “I’d better see you to the door then” she spoke reluctantly as she lead the way back through the house still holding onto his hand for dear life. As she came to a stop in the doorway the blonde smiled softly softly tipping her head back which caused some of her curls to escape from their updo pinned position. She let out a soft giggle realizing her hair now looked a mess “I guess this is goodnight then” she proclaimed as she allowed her fingers to release his, dropping to her sides.

Work was something both he and Sariah enjoyed and neither minded that it took a lot of their time. Granted her day job was more important than his in many ways but in a way they both worked a type of security. “Someone has to though I’m not sure I know anyone as passionate about their job as you. You’re in a league of your own.” Neither really had a clock out time since as Ambassadors they were technically on call all hours should something occur or one of their faction members need them. Yet they were able to find nights like this in all that madness.

It was always entertaining when Sariah got flustered and just spouted the first thing that came to mind since he never knew what that might be. Clearly her mouth could get her into trouble with not with him. “Then I wouldn’t be uniquely me. Though I’m sure most take it in strides since it can be a lot of get used to.” A rumbling chuckled left him as she commented about Lena, “I doubt you’d have to make a comment to make her front page. She does seem to be obsessed with you as of late and I wonder if I should be jealous.” He mused with a smirk on him face knowing Lena wasn’t a threat unless you did something to cause her wrath.

Most thought of power as strength or a supernatural ability but power itself was earned. Orion has learned that you could be the runt of a pack and still lead it because there was countless forms of power. Sariah was charismatic and had a will of steel, standing like a statue when it came to her beliefs. That was something to respect, especially when it came to the Organization when he knew many held different beliefs when it came to the supernaturals depending on the encounters that they’ve had. “Little human alpha.” He teased lightly since she was a true leader even if she was insecure and questioned it at times. “Being clumsy is just part of being human. Supernaturals do it too, so caught my arm on the door knob the other day and tripped myself on nothing while walking up the stairs.” Though he was quick to catch himself and try to play it off, he was just lucky most didn’t witness these small blunders.

The scent of apprehension filled his nose and he knew Sariah’s mind was in overdrive as far as meeting his kids went. Though he couldn’t blame her since even though they were both adults that meant they processed things differently than if they had been young. Plus both had only ever known their mother as the woman in his life so it would be a change for them both and it might take time to process and sink in fully. “Situations like ours are never easy and I understand not wanting to make things difficult. Arwyn came back to the city knowing, it’s apparently not a well kept secret thanks to our friend Lena.” It was strange to think that even those outside of Evermore knew his business. Granted he wasn’t sure either knew the full age difference between the two but at this point Orion and Sariah would age at the same rate and it was just a number. He needed someone who could take the good with the bad and keep him level minded and she needed someone who could give her space when she needed it but be there when she needed them to be. Someone who saw her for the woman she was and respected her for that allowing her to flourish instead of locking down the best and most unique parts of her.

A chuckle left Orion at the memory, at first he had been incredibly angry just due to the fact that he had lost a sense he replied so heavily on. However, he knew she had done it to defend herself and hadn’t blinded him on purpose, saying until the effects were counter acted. “I wouldn’t have believed it if you had told me that would be a good night even with being blind. I did get to play the knight in shining fur, I just had an uncooperative damsel who could take care of herself.” He teased since he was sure anyone who heard the story would think it was something they had made up but that was just their life. It was also a night neither would forget.

From that first night all he had wanted was to get to know her and understand what caused her to be so driven. Along with pushing him away and keeping him at arms length. Now it was all clear and made a lot of sense and made him glad that he had been patient with her and refused to give up on this, on her. “If I really wanted to alert your enemies I’d tell them shifting your furniture a few centimeters would be your inevitable downfall.” He mused keeping the humor going and the mood light. An amused expression came over his face his brow raising. “Oh is that how it is? Then be ready for war.” It was clearly going to be a fun day since if she was competitive she would get alone great with his kids which usually only competed with one another. 

Emotions were running high tonight and it would be so easy to talk himself into staying. The Kitsune wanted to give her time to fully process everything they had discussed and the new information they had learned about one another. There would be plenty of nights not to worry about the time in the future and tonight had already gone better than in his wildest imagination. Nights with Sariah was worth savoring and holding onto but sometimes it was best to let go. “I have my moments of thinking responsibly.” He teased softly since she clearly wasn’t ready to let him go either as they walked through her place at a sluggish pace trying to steal what few moments they could. “Good night Sariah.” Leaning down he allowed his lips to kiss her cheek knowing that if he kissed her lips again that would just make it harder to leave. “Keep the weekend free for me.” He responded shooting a wink her way as he turned the knob and reluctantly stepped out into the night. It was weird to miss her touch already as he turned and looked back at her with a smile before continuing to make his exit before he changed his mind.

RSS

© 2024   Created by ✓ Ophelia Dreyvalian ~Admin~.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service